Who To Call To Repair Frayed Cord

Status
Not open for further replies.

articulo

New User
Occupation
Retired
I have an electric wheelchair. I ran over the bus cable that comes out of the joystick controller and the cable got frayed. I did a quick fix with electrical tape to get it going again but I can't take it anywhere for fear that I'll get stuck somewhere. This cable does not plug into the controller it's hardwired. I would have to buy a whole new joystick controller and they are quite expensive. This cable has four or five different wires inside the cable but only one got frayed. What type of electrician should I contact about getting the cord repaired. Any response is appreciated thank you.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It sounds like the cord should be shortened, perhaps re-connected inside one end.

In my opinion, your best bet is to find a small locally-owned electronics repair shop.

Or an electrician like me who has been playing with electronics since he was a kid.

A stereo or audio-video dealer may have or know of a good repair department, too.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
It might be a good idea to get whoever works on it to install an inline connector pair so that if it happens again it will just unplug it.

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty
LOL, as just last week at church I see a motorized wheelchair in a side room = one of the volunteers at the food bank was having a problem with it, Pastor tell him to leave it, "Art (me) will fix it." I typically do simple fixes and repairs gratis for other volunteers I work with.

Also last week, preschool teacher calls me and asks "my mircowave stopped working, can you take a look?" She brought it over, very first uwave I ever saw with a failed magnetron, usually just a switch or the capacitor. Anyway, gave her on of the spares I have sitting around.

:) Thus, suggestion for articulo, if you belong to any church, synagogue, civic or volunteer group, there is probably someone you already know can fix it for you free!. , Your fix is an ultra simple task for any old retired electronics weenie

retirede

Also last week, preschool teacher calls me and asks "my mircowave stopped working, can you take a look?" She brought it over, very first uwave I ever saw with a failed magnetron, usually just a switch or the capacitor. Anyway, gave her on of the spares I have sitting around.

We got a new Kitchenaid microwave in 2008. I’ve had to replace the magnetron twice.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
LOL, as just last week at church I see a motorized wheelchair in a side room = one of the volunteers at the food bank was having a problem with it, Pastor tell him to leave it, "Art (me) will fix it." I typically do simple fixes and repairs gratis for other volunteers I work with.

:) Thus, suggestion for articulo, if you belong to any church, synagogue, civic or volunteer group, there is probably someone you already know can fix it for you free!. , Your fix is an ultra simple task for any old retired electronics weenie
Yeah, usually the capacitor or the HV rectifier. Did have one that got struck by lightning that took out the magnetron. Insurance company wouldn’t pay the customer until it was verified. The smoke out of the four corners of the cabinet was pretty obvious! LOL!

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.

This site is designed for:
  • Electrical Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals

* This NEC Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking report at the lower left hand corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.