Whole house surge suppressor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

Lately I have had several inquiries about whole house surge protectors.
Over the years I've installed a few but never really knew or cared how effective they are

I would like to get some of the forums opinions on them.

- Do they work?
- Is there a brand or model that's proven to be better than any other.
-Etc.

I see that some make claims that they will re imburse the user for damaged electronics in the event of an incident. That I find hard to believe simply because there are so many variables that could be at play.

Any thoughts appreciated.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I have a whole house protector at my service, the clip on breaker style at my sub panel, and a leviton surge protected recpt at my entertainment center.

Does it work? I guess so. More is better and the more you pay the better protected you are is what I heard.

PaulMmn

Banned
Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
I have 4 Zero-Surge plug-in surge protectors for my electronics. They've been in place for years; I've heard them HUMMMmmmm when a lighting strike is reasonably close. The pilot lights are on; they don't use MOVs. My electronics have not been fried, but knowing if they're working is one of those negative tests!

https://zerosurge.com/commercial-solutions/

ZeroSurge offers hard-wire versions for single circuits and for a single 240/120 circuit. They don't appear to have a whole-house solution (but do offer a 5-circuit model (which appears to be 5 single circuit modules in one box)).

ron

Rumor is that the next NEC will required SPDs for every service.

UL 1449 Standard for Surge Protective Devices 4th Edition is the standard to be sure the product is listed to.

kec

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have a Leviton whole house surge suppressor in my own house and have installed many in others. Been thru many lighting storms here with many close by.
Haven't lose anything yet for 20 yrs. but i know it doesn't guarantee a direct hit.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I see that some make claims that they will re imburse the user for damaged electronics in the event of an incident. That I find hard to believe simply because there are so many variables that could be at play.
In my opinion, the connected-equipment warranty, especially the claim process and hoop-jumping, is a must-read.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I have installed a few, mostly Eaton brand. One customer, where I put in an Eaton CH model, had storm or surge damage. The SPD did it's job and sacrificed itself. He had another panel from his solar system that didn't fair so well as it had no protection. But it has now!

kwired

Electron manager
Lately I have had several inquiries about whole house surge protectors.
Over the years I've installed a few but never really knew or cared how effective they are

I would like to get some of the forums opinions on them.

- Do they work?
- Is there a brand or model that's proven to be better than any other.
-Etc.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Read the fine print. You typically must still have other protection devices at certain items.

The idea is if a surge comes in from outside supply, you knock the bulk of it down at your service device, then those other additional devices can get anything that makes it that far.

Think that is wise method of doing this anyway. Items you are more concerned about should have additional protection at their location.

It's sort of like gambling/insurance. Seems like surge/lightning damage is pretty rare. I only recall hearing of 2 people around my area who had damage. I think putting in a few are "cheap insurance". I have a QO surge breaker in my detached structure panel that has my solar system on it. I have a non utilty step up transformer that I will be putting an arrester elbow on the MV side, and I'll prolly throw another surge breaker in the house panel.

kwired

Electron manager
It's sort of like gambling/insurance. Seems like surge/lightning damage is pretty rare. I only recall hearing of 2 people around my area who had damage. I think putting in a few are "cheap insurance". I have a QO surge breaker in my detached structure panel that has my solar system on it. I have a non utilty step up transformer that I will be putting an arrester elbow on the MV side, and I'll prolly throw another surge breaker in the house panel.

The direct hit lightning or even nearby hits, are more obvious, and can still take out the SPD as well as additional items.

What is unnoticed is all those surges that never get noticed but are still clamped by the SPD. Without the SPD those surges hammer away at your sensitive equipment a little at a time until there is some insulation break down someday.

So outside of an obvious lightning event or maybe a transmission line nearby falls onto a local distribution line, you don't ever notice anything from them, good or bad.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician
Do they work, yes. Ignore everything about nanoseconds and look at jewels to compare

Mike Holt once said
You get what you pay for
More is better

Mike has some good graphics and I will later post
If there is an overvoltage the SPD sends it back to the utility, some to earth.
Use a quality panel mount SPD at the service, best is one that goes between the meter and socket, no lead length, POCO does those

Then have SPDs at point of use, TV, DW. You are using the impedance of the building wiring to reduce the transient. I use some from Leviton that cost about $15
If you have cable the units with cable protectors and TV make a mini single point ground

About 25 years ago I started using Leviton 32,000, 42,000 series and the power supply failures stopped. These guys are multistage with 70 MM movs. Rcpect to pay $300 - $400 each
on my house panel I have a Leviton 120/240 volt version that is in a 6x6 j box. Think about this almost every device has electonics. The damage from electronics is commutative over time

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Read the fine print. You typically must still have other protection devices at certain items.

The idea is if a surge comes in from outside supply, you knock the bulk of it down at your service device, then those other additional devices can get anything that makes it that far.

Think that is wise method of doing this anyway. Items you are more concerned about should have additional protection at their location.
This is exactly correct. You need to have a "cascaded" approach to SPD's. Start at the breaker panel and then have additional protection down stream. Also, like Mike Holt said "You get what you pay for." If you spend $49.95 on a whole house SPD you'll get $49.95 worth of protection.

Think of these SPD's as shock absorbers on your car. If you didn't have any you would feel every bump. IMHO, if you get a direct lightening hit - kiss it goodbye.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
It's sort of like gambling/insurance. Seems like surge/lightning damage is pretty rare. I only recall hearing of 2 people around my area who had damage.

Years ago lightning struck a power pole transformer near the house I was living in. It took out the 240V heating element in my dryer.

Status
Not open for further replies.