Why are LBs so sharp?

marmathsen

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'm really just whining here but, why the heck are PVC LBs and other conduit bodies so dang sharp on the inside lips? It should be required that they are manufactured with a smooth edge.

On a related note, is there such a thing as a long LB? For instance a 2" with a longer than standard opening so you can easily bend larger wires into it?

(Here's where someone chimes in and says you can buy both smooth edge and long body LBs)

Rob

Rob G - Seattle

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
On a related note, is there such a thing as a long LB? For instance a 2" with a longer than standard opening so you can easily bend larger wires into it?
You are correct that these things tend to have sharp edges for no reason other than it's cheaper to manufacturer without smoothing over the edges. If you follow the quantity and size of the conductors stamped in the conduit body they've been tested with those parameters and you should be able to install them without damage. As Hal said if you want more wiggly room you can use a larger size conduit body with reducers.

I'm really just whining here but, why the heck are PVC LBs and other conduit bodies so dang sharp on the inside lips? It should be required that they are manufactured with a smooth edge.

(Here's where someone chimes in and says you can buy both smooth edge and long body LBs)

Rob

Rob G - Seattle
This annoys me a lot, and on many different parts. Was using half inch EMT connectors and they did not have a nice rounded end - come on manufacturers/UL really? PVC conduit is another one, couldn't they throw a little chamferon the ends?? that stuff will skin insulation right off. Dealing with crappy poorly thought out and made materials is by far the most frustrating part of this job for me.

scook56

Rob

Rob G - Seattle
Call the waambulance!