why does it not work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I have a 14-3 cable in a panel and tried to connect it to an AFCI in the following ways, but the AFCI would trip on all three tests. The AFCI is a good unit because i tried it on a two conductor circuit.

test #1: connected the two hots together (essentially one circuit) and one pigtail under the breaker with the neutral. (breaker trips)
test #2: Connected the black conductor with the neutral to the breaker and have the red disconnected (breaker trips)
test #3:Connected the red conductor with the neutral to the breaker and have the black disconnected (breaker trips)

Maybe I am having a brain freeze, help me see the common problem.

Thanks.

JFletcher

Is there any load at all on the circuits?* Did you connect the pigtail from the breaker to the neutral bar? Did you try a standard CB?

*A GFCI outlet is a load in this case and will insta trip an AFCI if there is neutrals crossed up or other problems.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Is there any load at all on the circuits?* Did you connect the pigtail from the breaker to the neutral bar? Did you try a standard CB?

*A GFCI outlet is a load in this case and will insta trip an AFCI if there is neutrals crossed up or other problems.

standard CB works fine, there are no GFCI on that circuit and both circuits have loads on them.

As mentioned earlier, it is probably a crossed neutral. It will be interesting to find out.

Thanks for your replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Connect neutral only and see if breaker holds.

If not even more signs of crossed neutral or still can be a ground fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.