Why does my underground pump trip the rcbo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

humagiyo

New User
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have a submersed bore pump 85M down and covered by 40M water. The motor/pump is 1.1HP, capacitor run, 35uF in a capacitor box above ground, with a three wire conductor and earth cable going to the pump. The water is pumped up into a tank at ground level. There is a pressure switch at the ground level outlet to shutoff if the water supply in the bore goes dry.

It has worked without incident for about five years. However for the last few months I have had intermittent rcbo trips back in the meter box. Now the failures are getting more frequent. There are two underground feeds each fed by their own rcbo. Currently the motor runs for about ten seconds and trips. I can reproduce the fault exactly the same each time. It does not matter which of the underground feeds I use, the symptoms are the same for the failing motor. The other pump, in the same location, is a surface pump and it works fine regardless of which GPO it is connected to.

The pressure switch and capacitor box have been isolated with no change in symptoms. The run cap has also been changed without changing the symptoms. It runs for ten seconds then stops tripping the rcbo.

Today I ran the bore pump from my 2KW generator. It worked fine for several hours until it ran out of petrol. I suspected insulation leakage somewhere so I kept away from the generator while running etc.

I then plugged the bore pump back into the GPO and it now runs fine. It no longer trips the rcbo. The generator does not have an earth reference, no earth connection to its GPO outlet. The gpo’s and pumps and cap box are out in the weather so I am about to fit a roof over the lot. I am hoping the the problem will not recur.

I assume moisture did something and running with the genny dried it out. It’s not clear what changed. It’s unlikely the motors would ‘dry out’ when it’s 40M below water. The plug that plugs into the GPO is moulded giving little chance for water to enter the cable there. The connections at the pressure switch are water sealed by glands as is the cap box. It’s almost like there is a pin hole somewhere in the cable that lets in moisture but I can’t see how that would happen.

Has anyone had any experience with a similar fault :unsure:

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Have you looked at the pump? The impellers on the pumps themselves go bad. Five years sounds about right for plastic depending on how much your pump runs.
The rod that goes through the impellers wears these plastic pieces out and the tolerances are too large to allow the impellers to keep from dragging along the sides of the casing.
Once they start rubbing the sides they drag and trip the breaker intermittently.

if you pull the pump and start it it will also fun fine for a bit.
Sounds like time for a plumber to get involved to replace the pump

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
RCBO is a breaker with residual current detection. The symptoms strongly suggest tripping on ground fault, not overload.

Jon
Ahhh.
Didn’t pick that up…
I had to go back and read again to see it.
Skimming got me. Sorry

kwired

Electron manager
What is trip threshold of the RCD? Long conductor lengths along with submersion in water sounds like an invitation for nuisance tripping if threshold is low. I would think you would want maybe 50 or 100mA on this kind of installation.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I would think this is likely an age related breakdown of your cable insulation somewhere, to where moisture is seeping through over time. You are likely correct that running from the generator without the RCBO allowed the heat in the cable to force the moisture out, but this is likely temporary.

Status
Not open for further replies.