Why is SER ground so large

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Electrician
I have a subpanel I am installing in a residence in Arizona. I was going to feed it with SER style cable. Copper 1/0-1/0-1/0. When I look at all the SER cable, the bare ground is #2. Why. When I look at 250.66, 250.102(c)(1) or 250.122 the largest ground required is #6.

Can I use something such as a Encore Tray Cable that has a #6 ground.

The issue I have is the ground bar holes accept #4 max. For my own reasons, I don't want to drop a aluminum lug on top of the ground bar to accept the larger wire. I want to use one of the holes in the copper bar. And I don't see why all the ground are so large.
Thanks

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I have a subpanel I am installing in a residence in Arizona. I was going to feed it with SER style cable. Copper 1/0-1/0-1/0. When I look at all the SER cable, the bare ground is #2. Why. When I look at 250.66, 250.102(c)(1) or 250.122 the largest ground required is #6.
What size OCPD is protecting the sub-panel feeder?

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have asked myself the same question and came to the conclusion presented above by Electromatic. Also pull a ground wire. Don't rely upon the conduit to be your EGC unless you are using Rigid or IMC and utilizing grounding bushings. I personally cannot believe that EMT is still recognized as a grounding means.

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have seen too many times throughout my career where EMT used as a EGC has failed over time. It is not worth forgoing the use of an EGC wire to save money while sacrificing safety. I will never be convinced otherwise.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I have seen too many times throughout my career where EMT used as a EGC has failed over time. It is not worth forgoing the use of an EGC wire to save money while sacrificing safety. I will never be convinced otherwise.
Failed over time how? Do you mean that you have seen faulted circuits sitting there energized?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I’ve repaired emt drops to the racks in the big box stores, over the years, some have actually energized the racks. Forklifts would hit it and pop it out of the coupling, then short against the coupling on the stub, energizing the rack it was attached to. Since the neutral was not compromised, it didn’t fault and remained energized.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I’ve repaired emt drops to the racks in the big box stores, over the years, some have actually energized the racks. Forklifts would hit it and pop it out of the coupling, then short against the coupling on the stub, energizing the rack it was attached to. Since the neutral was not compromised, it didn’t fault and remained energized.
That may be a mis-application, but not a fault (no pun intended) of the EMT wiring method itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.