Why is the NEC wrtten the way it is

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems that the NEC is written for lawyers and not electricians. Sometimes I wonder if I need Nostradamus to decipher it. Why don't all electricians lobby to have the darn thing re written so that us electricians can read it and understand it.
Another question to throw out there...
I also would like to see all electricians in the state of Texas lobby Austin so that . . . .

{MODERATOR'S NOTE: Edited to remove the political discussion. That subject is not permitted on this Forum.}

Just my opinions

Last edited by a moderator:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The NEC is not that difficult to understand IMO however, as with anything discussed in english there can and will be interpretation differences.

Roger

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
When it is adopted by a unit of government it becomes a law and must be written as such to be enforceable in a court.
Don

haskindm

The NEC is a legal document suitable to be accepted as the "law" in a jurisdiction, as such it has to be written with a certain amount of legal language. Did anybody ever promise you that the electrical trade was simple? If it was, everyone would be doing it and nobody would be making any money! Study the NEC and read it like it is a "CODE", not like it is a novel. It is not perfect, but it is fairly clear. The more you work with it, the more sense it makes.

raider1

Staff member
The more you work with it, the more sense it makes.

I have found this to be the opposite. I thought that I knew what a kitchen was until I started reading the NEC, now I am not so sure. You do need to study it and try not to bring in to many preconceptions into reading the code sections.

Chris

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
raider1 said:
I thought that I knew what a kitchen was until I started reading the NEC, now I am not so sure.
This is a good example of what I believe to be an important aspect of the NEC: It is written in a language all its own. There are words in what I will call, ?conversational English? that are spelled the same and pronounced the same as words in the NEC. They do not necessarily have the same meaning. So when you discuss an NEC requirement with another member of the profession, or especially with a customer who has no conception of electrical installations, be sure you make clear which language you are speaking (i.e., NEC language or conversational English). Otherwise, you are sure to create confusion.

lpelectric

I'd say there was some similarity in becoming proficient in electrical code interpretation as there is to learning to play a musical instrument. Going over and over the scales is a great way to develop dexterity, and going over and over the text of the code is a great way to understand it in-depth.

Learning the names of the notes, flats and sharps, is similar to learning the definitions in Article 100.

To be able to "speak" code, one has to develop skills that can not be expected to "burn in" overnight, any more than one would be expected to perform a Nocturne in A Flat the first time seated at the bench. ;)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
lpelectric said:
I'd say there was some similarity in becoming proficient in electrical code interpretation as there is to learning to play a musical instrument. Going over and over the scales is a great way to develop dexterity, and going over and over the text of the code is a great way to understand it in-depth.

Learning the names of the notes, flats and sharps, is similar to learning the definitions in Article 100.

To be able to "speak" code, one has to develop skills that can not be expected to "burn in" overnight, any more than one would be expected to perform a Nocturne in A Flat the first time seated at the bench. ;)

lp: I would agree with you (and Charlie),,after 40 years I don't play the piano very well either :) and I, like many, still have some problems with Code language, but, for the most part, those I see who really disagree with the NEC have not yet had the time or opportunity to learn "code language" and everyday definitions can add confusion.

ItsHot

bedroom?

bedroom?

raider1 said:
I have found this to be the opposite. I thought that I knew what a kitchen was until I started reading the NEC, now I am not so sure. You do need to study it and try not to bring in to many preconceptions into reading the code sections.

Chris
Its ok, they do not know what a bedroom is!

cowboyjwc

Staff member
The NEC I believe is written at a third year college level. The problem is that most people read at an eighth grade level. No I'm not being mean, that came from Mark Early of the NFPA, and yes it is written if legaleze.

Brady Electric

Why is the NEC written the way it it

Why is the NEC written the way it it

haskindm said:
The NEC is a legal document suitable to be accepted as the "law" in a jurisdiction, as such it has to be written with a certain amount of legal language. Did anybody ever promise you that the electrical trade was simple? If it was, everyone would be doing it and nobody would be making any money! Study the NEC and read it like it is a "CODE", not like it is a novel. It is not perfect, but it is fairly clear. The more you work with it, the more sense it makes.

I agree. Semper Fi

lpelectric

augie47 said:
.....but, for the most part, those I see who really disagree with the NEC have not yet had the time or opportunity to learn "code language" .....

I agree. There are those who disagree because they may lack a full understanding of the code language and there are also those who disagree because they have a full understanding and wish to perfect the code in some spirit or intention. But key to any of it is a fuller understanding of the intent of the rules. (IMHO) :smile:

B

bthielen

I believe there is a reason certain persons or trades are called professional and this is one of them. The code tries to cover a myriad of situations with many different understandings. You say tomato I say.... Where the professional comes into play is that he/she has learned to say tomato.

Someone once told me the difference between a professional and an ameteur in this way. "A professional is one that does the same thing the same way every time whereas an ameteur may not."

Bob

cowboyjwc

Staff member
bthielen said:
Someone once told me the difference between a professional and an ameteur in this way. "A professional is one that does the same thing the same way every time whereas an ameteur may not."

Bob

I was told that a professional gets paid and an amateur doesn't

jrclen

hotblueelectric said:
It seems that the NEC is written for lawyers and not electricians. Sometimes I wonder if I need Nostradamus to decipher it. Why don't all electricians lobby to have the darn thing re written so that us electricians can read it and understand it.
Just my opinions

How many code courses have you taken so far? It takes a few to get a grasp on the NEC. And the more you take, the more you learn and understand. It takes a while. The NEC was rewritten not long ago. Re-arranged actually. And after I got done cussing and complaining, I found it better than it was before. Understanding and knowing and following the code is what separates electricians from the joe handyman trunk slammers. Hang in there and keep learning.

JohnJ0906

jrclen said:
How many code courses have you taken so far? It takes a few to get a grasp on the NEC. And the more you take, the more you learn and understand. It takes a while.
Agreed. I am still learning, and this forum has helped quite a bit, as well as the CEU courses I have taken.

Understanding and knowing and following the code is what separates electricians from the joe handyman trunk slammers. Hang in there and keep learning.

Absolutely! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.