Why String in Sealtight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I understand & agree with using strings & fibers in hard use cords, extra support & strain relied. But I sometimes see it in Sealtight (LFMC). I cut this with a portaband recently & the string & ground strip snagged up in the blade. The ground strip is obviously a good thing & worth the trouble but the string??

Attachments

• 9C3962A8-5AAA-4AAA-B5D0-478A21533EB5.jpeg
    9C3962A8-5AAA-4AAA-B5D0-478A21533EB5.jpeg
    176.6 KB · Views: 23

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Yeah I never understood the string either. I know in some cord/cable assembly’s it’s used to facilitate stripping the outer jacket off, but most of the time it just winds up breaking before anything is accomplished

jmellc

Occupation
Yeah I never understood the string either. I know in some cord/cable assembly’s it’s used to facilitate stripping the outer jacket off, but most of the time it just winds up breaking before anything is accomplished
Those thin nylon strings are excellent finger cutters though.

synchro

Occupation
EE
My guess is that the string acts as a packing over the copper wire that prevents it from slipping out from where it's held between the groove in the metal strip and the galvanized steel "spring". The string might also help reduce abrasion of the copper wire by the spring when the Sealtite is bent or flexed.

jmellc

Occupation
My guess is that the string acts as a packing over the copper wire that prevents it from slipping out from where it's held between the groove in the metal strip and the galvanized steel "spring". The string might also help reduce abrasion of the copper wire by the spring when the Sealtite is bent or flexed.
Good thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.