Why wait to close breaker

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

OCPD

In the attachment, it says "Control power to the Shunt Trip with Lockout must be removed for a minimum of 0.25 seconds before the breaker can be closed". Why wait for 0.25 seconds? Why wait 0.25 seconds?

Attachments

• GEH6519.pdf
    732.1 KB · Views: 23

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
There might be a capacitor or something in the controls that will trip the breaker again until it can dissipate. Do you really care about .25 seconds? Can you even turn a breaker on that fast?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Interesting that if you buy the lockout feature, whatever that is, you have to wait a quarter of a second before you can close the breaker but if it does not have the lockout feature you don't have to wait the quarter of a second.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
.25 sec is not long, only 15 cycles on the 60Hz. It would probably take that long for the coil to react to the shutdown of the trip power and release. Is there a reason you would require this to react and release quicker? This reaction time is less than you could react by hand operation of the reset switching anyway at a quarter of a second.
The basics is if the coil is still engaged you simply will not be able to reset manually as the coil is holding the breaker in open position in the locking shut trip device.

4-20mA

an analog man in a digital world
Occupation
Instrumentation & Electrical
Sheesh, y'all are impatient. And I thought I was bad when the gas pump slows down for the last 10 cents.

Good question though, I'm sure some number crunchin' EE came up with that from one of those infamous formulas. Could be just to CYA somehow, or maybe just to get a rise out us for planting an Easter Egg in the details...

Status
Not open for further replies.