Why we can't compete with handy man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strife

Got a call the other day from a guy who got busted without a permit. This is what I found ( I could actually post 10 pictures, but I chose the three most offending ones). And yes, that box actually has rommex coming in the front. The "electrician" just buried it behind the wall) I gave the guy a price and, of course, the guy proceeded to cry how he already spent a lot of money and this is way out of his budget. I told him flat out that not only I have to install it properly, but I have to spend time to find and remove what the handyman installed. And make sure there's not other wires behind the wall.
Anyone else is tired of people hiring handymen doing this kinda work, and when it has to be fixed. they expect legit contractors to do it for free? I mean what I found is downright criminal. I can not go against my customer, but I really feel like getting code enforcement on arresting whoever did this.
Strangely enough, I did get the job, and it wasn't anywhere near being competitive.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Got a call the other day from a guy who got busted without a permit. This is what I found ( I could actually post 10 pictures, but I chose the three most offending ones). And yes, that box actually has rommex coming in the front. The "electrician" just buried it behind the wall) I gave the guy a price and, of course, the guy proceeded to cry how he already spent a lot of money and this is way out of his budget. I told him flat out that not only I have to install it properly, but I have to spend time to find and remove what the handyman installed. And make sure there's not other wires behind the wall.
Anyone else is tired of people hiring handymen doing this kinda work, and when it has to be fixed. they expect legit contractors to do it for free? I mean what I found is downright criminal. I can not go against my customer, but I really feel like getting code enforcement on arresting whoever did this.
Strangely enough, I did get the job, and it wasn't anywhere near being competitive.

We should not be compeating with hanyman at all.

1 . A handyman has no formal training,

2.No license in any trade,

3.has no over head fly by night

4.has no insurence

5. does not pull permits

In my state handyam can not perform any plumbing Electrical,,,but does that stop them nope and the stuff i find that they do is scary. just like your post ,splices in walls,Changing over to romex from BX with no box.

Some home owners do not under stand why the apliance guy can not install a new Gas oven and run a circuit to wire it and run a Gas line for the gas.
and do a compleat kitchen remodel .

So we cant compeat with them unless we cut our prices by 75%:mad:

220/221

#1 Seen it

#2 Seen it

#3 Seen it

I HATE this kind of crap. I'll fix it, but I HATE doing it.

IMAG0019.jpg

IMAG0035.jpg

IMAG0030.jpg

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Looks like great work to me. Send that Guy over here I'll but him to work ...

that is for my competitor!

I've seen work like that from a licensed guy:confused:

wireguy8169

Funny, someone on a jobsite yesterday stated that "Maine is going to stop letting homeowners do plumbing" well first I doubt they can enforce it, but then when he said "sounds like the state is trying to drum up business for contractors" I looked at him and said "ahh your a contractor" ...He has said he does work he is not licensed for and just is helping the homeowner. So when he asked me an electrical question I told him if you pay my rate I will give you a lesson he asked what it was I replied "give me the job it will save you a few hundred grand" :grin:

Jim W in Tampa

Part of the problem is the county and state with wanting permits for minor stuff. You give them price based on cost of permits and doing it to code and they find a handyman that is far cheaper. If they went after them with serious fines and mandatory jail and set up sting operations it would go away. I know a few that are out there and they been doing it for years and never been caught. Do not even try to match price cause you can't. Counties simply don't want to spend what it cost to jail them.

jwjrw

I target customers who don't mind paying for quality work and great customer service. If you want cheap don't call us.

handy10

We should not be compeating with hanyman at all.

1 . A handyman has no formal training,

2.No license in any trade,

3.has no over head fly by night

4.has no insurence

5. does not pull permits

In my state handyam can not perform any plumbing Electrical,,,but does that stop them nope and the stuff i find that they do is scary. just like your post ,splices in walls,Changing over to romex from BX with no box.

Some home owners do not under stand why the apliance guy can not install a new Gas oven and run a circuit to wire it and run a Gas line for the gas.
and do a compleat kitchen remodel .

So we cant compeat with them unless we cut our prices by 75%:mad:

You know, I am a handyman. I hired a licensed electrician to put some new circuits in my house. However, when it comes to attaching a fixture to a box, I simply am not going to pay for a licensed electrician. Some of the statements above are simply not true. I have a PhD in engineering with quite a lot of electrical theory (which is somewhat worthless when running circuits in an old house). Moreover, I have taken a course on NEC 2008 at the local community college. I have a van and several thousand dollars worth of tools. I have $1,000,000 of liability insurance. I get permits when they are required. I realise that times are tough, but there are handymen who know something about wiring. I find it offensive to paint all of us with the same brush.

ericsherman37

You know, I am a handyman. I hired a licensed electrician to put some new circuits in my house. However, when it comes to attaching a fixture to a box, I simply am not going to pay for a licensed electrician. Some of the statements above are simply not true. I have a PhD in engineering with quite a lot of electrical theory (which is somewhat worthless when running circuits in an old house). Moreover, I have taken a course on NEC 2008 at the local community college. I have a van and several thousand dollars worth of tools. I have $1,000,000 of liability insurance. I get permits when they are required. I realise that times are tough, but there are handymen who know something about wiring. I find it offensive to paint all of us with the same brush.

You have a PhD and you're a handy man?

I'm quitting school.

Jim W in Tampa

So your telling us you pull permits for doing electric ?
I am confused why if your qualified that you hired an electrician for your own house.
Also question your insurance coverage if your doing jobs your not licensed to be doing.
I understand some states license handymen but most if not all limit what you can do.
Will assume your not doing trades that require license in that field.

ike5547

Occupation
Electrician
Got a call the other day from a guy who got busted without a permit. This is what I found ( I could actually post 10 pictures, but I chose the three most offending ones). And yes, that box actually has rommex coming in the front. The "electrician" just buried it behind the wall) I gave the guy a price and, of course, the guy proceeded to cry how he already spent a lot of money and this is way out of his budget.

These are the kind of jobs I used to almost always summarily turn down on the spot. Unfortunately, I find myself accepting this kind of work more often than I would like to lately.

I feel your pain.

DavidA

At least electrical tape and wire nuts were used...Repaired a 'handyman' remodel with MC into metal boxes using an occasional romex connector and masking tape inplace of any actual approved connector. The amazing part was the 2" of wire actually in the box that the splices were made with. They were lucky that the fire hadn't happened yet.

Jim W in Tampa

These are the kind of jobs I used to almost always summarily turn down on the spot. Unfortunately, I find myself accepting this kind of work more often than I would like to lately.

I feel your pain.

Times are hard every place. Nothing wrong in taking them but charge full amount and carefully state on your bill what work you did and limit liability. If you don't take the job another will.
Once did a commercial remodel for new tenant. I was told to keep track of each and every code violation the last tenants handyman did so landlord could bill them for damages. There were several pages. And believe it or not same landlord rented them a larger building and we did work for both of them. All i wanted was to be sure that i was able to turn over an up to code building with no known violations.

OregonSE

You could be the President of the United States and the inventer of electricity here in Oregon and that would not give you the right to do any electrical work.Non licensed candymen here are fined heavy for doing any electrical work WITH OUT A LICENSE.NO LICENSE=NO RIGHT TO DO ANY ELECTRCAL.exc;Your own property. In Oregon the fact that you may be an electrical engineer means nothing when it comes to doing electrical work for anybody. In Oregon,A painter or sheet rocker has the same right as you.GET A LICENSE.In Oregon,we do paint all handymen withy the same brush.

ike5547

Occupation
Electrician
I was told to keep track of each and every code violation...

lol

This is especially difficult when the wiring is indescribably terrible as in the above photos. Open splices, 2 inch conductors, loose splices, no supports, no EGC bonding, no connectors, etc. throughout.

jnaas2

The county I work in there is no such thing as a handyman, You must be licensed to work in all the trades. The ones you see advertising as handymen are doing illegal work because they dont hold a license for all the trades they are advertising for. If you dont believe me look at craigslist and you will see what I mean

Last edited:

Jim W in Tampa

lol

This is especially difficult when the wiring is indescribably terrible as in the above photos. Open splices, 2 inch conductors, loose splices, no supports, no EGC bonding, no connectors, etc. throughout.

Yep wrote them all up. Switches with no box just open thhn and no grounds, fittings ? who needs fittings LOL. Need 208 no problem , no conduit just wires and then mark the 120 volt receptacle 208. The list was very long. Best part was tapping a 277 volt light fixture with SJ and run it to a transformer to get 120 volt receptacle. Was a fun job because every time you lifted a ceiling towel out you found another job to fix. Did i catch every thing is hard to say but i had plenty of paper and ink.
Till we get inspectors going after handymen it will not stop. Slap them with first time fine of $5k and 30 days and it will stop. Also should go after homeowner for hiring them. Bet they think twice next time.
Yes are a few handymen that are qualified but not many and license and permits still required. Too many inspectors simply are pushed for time so don't stop at jobs that are not on there list to inspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.