why would this buzz??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Today I noticed when I connect the Neutral terminal of a "Homeline" AFCI to the frame of the panel there is a buzzing noise. The breaker is connected to an energized bussbar, however, there are no conductors connected to the breaker and the breaker is off. :?:?

I will try to upload the video.

MNSparky

Occupation
Electrical Contractor - 2023 NEC
Today I noticed when I connect the Neutral terminal of a "Homeline" AFCI to the frame of the panel there is a buzzing noise. The breaker is connected to an energized bussbar, however, there are no conductors connected to the breaker and the breaker is off. :?:?

I will try to upload the video.

Did the other AFCI breakers in the panel buzz? I've never encountered this. My gut is it's a bad breaker.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I'm guessing it is something else buzzing and when the AFCI is installed it changes the harmonics making it appear to be from that.

Simple test, move the breaker to a different spot or put a regular breaker there just to check.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I was in a hurry to get it hooked up so I can turn the lights ON. I am going back tomorrow to do more probing. Very interesting.

BTW, it did turn and stay ON just fine.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
wag, but the torque from that breaker being pried is causing problems elsewhere. My first step would be a different breaker in a different position.

I did not pry or have any torque on the terminal.

kwired

Electron manager
Did you measure voltage between neutral and EGC?

I don't know if AFCI's open the neutral - GFCI's do. If neutral is opened by the device - then in your video the device was off, there is no connected neutral load conductor, I wouldn't expect any thing to happen. If the breaker were "on" I could see this happening, and possibly even should trip.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Did you measure voltage between neutral and EGC?

I don't know if AFCI's open the neutral - GFCI's do. If neutral is opened by the device - then in your video the device was off, there is no connected neutral load conductor, I wouldn't expect any thing to happen. If the breaker were "on" I could see this happening, and possibly even should trip.

At first I did measure voltage between the neutral lug of the AFCI and the grounding, the neutral bar and the energized conductors ZERO volts.

I did not get a chance to do any tests today.

kwired

Electron manager
I noticed 2 relatively empty buss-bars with loose screws in close proximity to breaker. Try landing those screws.
Square D neutral/ground bus terminals are "backed out" from the factory. But if no conductor is landed in them shouldn't matter one bit. The breaker in his video is a "plug on neutral" breaker and the neutral plugs on to the neutral bus at the solid segment between every "group of two" conductor landing terminals.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Square D neutral/ground bus terminals are "backed out" from the factory. But if no conductor is landed in them shouldn't matter one bit. The breaker in his video is a "plug on neutral" breaker and the neutral plugs on to the neutral bus at the solid segment between every "group of two" conductor landing terminals.

Even if one of those loose neutral screws is touchoing the under side of breaker?

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I noticed 2 relatively empty buss-bars with loose screws in close proximity to breaker. Try landing those screws.

Those screws even though are back out they are tight not loose to vibrate.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Those screws even though are back out they are tight not loose to vibrate.

Breaker appears "Off" during video, with no conductors terminated, so how can electronic noise occur without power?
If noise is mechanical, what about other loose items, breaker lugs, etc.?

kwired

Electron manager
Even if one of those loose neutral screws is touchoing the under side of breaker?
The factory "backed out" position shouldn't be an issue, I can't tell you offhand if it is possible to back them out enough to have any impact on the plug on neutral breaker connection performance, but would guess they are capable of handling maximum rated conductor size in the bar and still plug a breaker over that position.

Breaker appears "Off" during video, with no conductors terminated, so how can electronic noise occur without power?
If noise is mechanical, what about other loose items, breaker lugs, etc.?
I mentioned this - not sure if AFCI's open the neutral but if they do then that shunting of EGC to the breaker neutral terminal shouldn't have done anything with the breaker in the off position.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Maybe my ears aren't as good as they used to be so I got my headphones out and I still can't hear the buzzing you are talking about. Lots of background noise and what did prying with the screwdriver do?

-Hal

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Maybe my ears aren't as good as they used to be so I got my headphones out and I still can't hear the buzzing you are talking about. Lots of background noise and what did prying with the screwdriver do?

-Hal

No Prying. I was just touching the neutral lug of the breaker to the cabinet.

I tried to do more testing today but I could not keep the lights off because the tile guys were working.

I will do it when I get a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.