Will a 2p 20amp gfci breaker still work as intended in a sub panel with no neutral?

Status
Not open for further replies.

serenity5807.wt

I'm installing a 20amp 240v roof heat system that requires a gfci breaker. I had a 2 pole 40amp feeder to outdoor disconnect for ac condensor originally. I eliminated disconnect switch and made it an out door subpanel to feed roof heat and condensor. Since no neutral was ran for condensor originally, do I have to run a new feed from panel just for gfci breaker? Or will it still function properly without it

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
It is possible to design a GFCI breaker that operates from 240 line to line with no neutral, but if would require a different circuit board than the one used in a single pole 120 or 2 pole 120-0-120 breaker. For that business reason there may not be any on the market.

JFletcher

We recently installed a 2p 50A GFCI breaker for a spa that did not have a neutral from the sub-panel to the spa. It did have 4 wires from the main panel to the sub panel. You need a line side neutral, so just put the GFCI breaker in the main panel. Done.

templdl

If you don't have as my line to neutral load then no neutral s required except....to my understanding the neutral is used in order to use the test pushbutton to test the breaker.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If you don't have as my line to neutral load then no neutral s required except....to my understanding the neutral is used in order to use the test pushbutton to test the breaker.
Your understanding is incorrect. The electronics is powered from one line to the line side neutral in breakers with a neutral pigtail or neutral bus stab.
Just as with the 120V GFCI receptacle, the TEST button only needs access to two wires which pass through the differential coil. In a 2P breaker the neutral could be one of those, but it is not necessary.
It is interesting to note that if you lose the unlucky phase of a 2P 220/240 breaker you can still have power to the other phase *without GFCI protection*.

Status
Not open for further replies.