Willful "electrocution"

Status
Not open for further replies.

hey_poolboy

I have read some of the recent threads about deaths by electrocution, but I have a different twist today.

This morning I had a "Cardioversion" performed upon me. I had a severely irregular heartbeat that medication had helped with in the past. Yesterday it showed up again, but the meds did not do it, so this morning they brought out the paddles. Yes, those nasty things you see on TV.
So, this morning electrocution saved my life.

Does anyone have a round-a-bout idea of how much power they run through you with those?

bphgravity

Re: Willful "electrocution"

I've seen a portable defibrillator that operated at 150 joules into 50-ohms of resistance.

I'm glad to hear your still alive! :eek:

mdshunk

Wife is a nurse. She says about 200-300 joules. If I did the math right, that's about .083 watt-hours for 300 joules.

I just checked one of her books. It says that the voltage is around 1200 volts, but varies by manufacturer.

[ September 05, 2005, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: mdshunk ]

hey_poolboy

thanks guys, and i am doing just fine. I only had to spend one night.

I never bothered to think of just what they were going to put through me. I was just praying that it did what it was supposed to do. :D

LawnGuyLandSparky

Glad you're O.K. Now I'm wondering, 300 Joules @ (# of times they triggered it) at .16 Kwh... will the hospital bill itemize the electrical usage like they itemize Advils?

:eek:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by hey_poolboy:Does anyone have a round-a-bout idea of how much power they run through you with those?
No. The 300 Joules (or 0.0833 watt-hours) is the amount of energy they ran through you. To find the power, you would need to know how much time they took to give you that energy. Perhaps mdshunk's better half can shed some light on that question. :eek: I suspect that the actual power level is higher than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.