Window A/C Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
We are installing Window PTAC units in A high rise multi family building. The owner is dead set on on Using the Hard wire Kit instead of the supplied cord provided. My questions are as follows. Am I required GFCI protection because the Cord was equipped with a LCDI? Am I required to Provide a disconnecting means at the end of the hard wire kit? The Panel is in site and less than 25' from the PTAC (but will have furniture ETC between them) and Finally Will I be required to provide a lockable breaker?

I am afraid I know the answers to these questions but I am hoping another set of eyes will be less biased than mine will have some thoughts.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
I think it will be a mistake not to use the cord kit.

Most buildings that have multiples of those units keep a spare unit or two. It's easy to slide out the chassis and leave the housing in place unplugging it and replacing it with a spare chassis and taking the old one to be repaired

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It's easy to slide out the chassis and leave the housing in place unplugging it and replacing it with a spare chassis and taking the old one to be repaired
I do that when installing window and wall ACs. It's so much easier to manipulate the empty case. (y)

powerpete69

Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
This question from the OP rears its ugly head every time the word PTAC is brought up.
It is always an argument whether to hard wire or use the plug or whatever.
Countless hours searching the code book...etc....blah.
Hotels and now senior living buildings.
Is an old person going to electrocute themselves accidentally on 208 or 240? Easier to replace unit or disconnect with plug...etc.
PTAC's are terrible. I cringe when I hear the word.
Even in their actual use, they are loud and struggle to stable air temperature.

Glad I could give you such great advice!! Ok, I'm done!

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
We are installing Window PTAC units in A high rise multi family building. The owner is dead set on on Using the Hard wire Kit instead of the supplied cord provided. My questions are as follows. Am I required GFCI protection because the Cord was equipped with a LCDI? Am I required to Provide a disconnecting means at the end of the hard wire kit? The Panel is in site and less than 25' from the PTAC (but will have furniture ETC between them) and Finally Will I be required to provide a lockable breaker?

I am afraid I know the answers to these questions but I am hoping another set of eyes will be less biased than mine will have some thoughts.
I'm confused about "instead of the supplied cord". The kit does not do away with the cord. The kit is just a means to hard wire the the kit to the branch circuit and the factory cord plugs into the receptacle in the kit. No?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
When I stay in a hotel/motel with such units, I switch the fan to "on" so the temperature varies less, just like at home.
I do too when possible as I can't stand the changing noise level. However in many places I find they now disable the constant on to make the greenies happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.