Window air conditioners

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan_618

I have never seen a window air conditioner in a comercial building. Are these installed very often (in commercial buildings) in other parts of the country?

Thanks in advance

bphgravity

Re: Window air conditioners

I've seen them in various "commercial" type occupancies such as car wash offices, ticket boths, security guard houses, etc..

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

To add, they're often installed through-the-wall in a new opening instead of an existing window. Then there's the typical hotel-room type.

mdshunk

When a window type air condtioner is installed in a commercial occupancy, the name of the unit magically changes. They suddenly call it a "through wall unit" or PTAC. Although PTAC mostly relates to the larger hotel/motel type unit, but same idea.

There's an elementary school near me that doesn't have central a/c. All the classrooms have a window air conditioner installed where a pane of glass once was.

allenwayne

To answer the original question it would be a YES.sometimes a building condsidered commercial has an office built and a wall/window unit installed.So what if the rest of the employees work in 100+ heat ;) sad but true :roll:

iwire

Staff member

Yeah I have seen what Allen pointed out.

A window AC used through a wall cooling an office area with the hot side blowing out into the 'not' office area. Great employee moral booster. :roll:

paul

I wired up a couple as an emergency fix in an old, antiquated telephone CO, where they didn't have the time available to upgrade the HVAC system. They cut two holes in the wall and installed these units to blow directly on the newly installed DSL equipment.

pierre

With so many people going into their own business, they cannot always start out in a nice office building, so they go to the old, very old buildings (usually fairly small) that are being renovated just for this purpose. The only thing is there is no A/C, hence the window units. Very popular here as the summers may be short, but we get the 3 H's.

hurk27

By Bob: A window AC used through a wall cooling an office area with the hot side blowing out into the 'not' office area. Great employee moral booster.
And I thought I was the only one to get heat from the office. :D

We also have a through the wall (28,000btu) AC.
We have forced air cooling for the whole building but it's cheaper to just cool the office since we are not in the other areas very long.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

it's very common to see a small office inside a factory or warehouse that has a window type a/c. normally mounted through a wall.

I used to see them mounted through the walls (or sometimes doors) of control panels back before anyone made a/c units for that purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.