Window frame grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey All,
I was hoping to get some feedback on some dimmable glass that we will be installing on a project that we are working on. The listing is requiring that we ground the metal track at the top and bottom of the glass. I will try and attach a picture showing what we are working with.
This is a new product for us and we have no experience working with it.
I am struggling to come up with a way to ground the top and bottom frame without running exposed wiring. There are unfinished framed walls on either side of the glass. If I could come up with a way to attach a bonding strap from the frame to the sheetrock wall that may work. Does anyone have a way to install a bonding point or something similar, flush inside a sheetrock wall? In other words, have a connection point on a finished wall and still maintain a finished look?
Any other suggestions?
This is an existing concrete structure building with little to no building steel. Light duty metal stud framing.
Thanks for any input.
1603733492065.png

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
In my opinion the bonding jumper must connect to the EGC for the glass dimming circuit. The top should be very easy to stub out the bonding jumper at the location of the circuit conductors. Not sure about bottom metal frame.
What voltage actually goes to the glass? Is this product listed?
This is one that I would review with the local inspection authority before making the installation.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
I could be wrong but I don't think your lower frame EGC needs to be accessible, I would find a outa sight place under the lower frame and tap-and-thread a 10-32 ground screw and run green 12 THHN back to the junction box or the switch box.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
For what it's worth this looks rather similar to the situation with solar modules on solar arrays. We bring a ground wire (usually bare solid) out of the j-box and bond it to the rails or modules using appropriate hardware, such as a lay-in lug with bolt, nut and starwasher. I don't see a problem with doing it all inside the walls before they are finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.