windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Is it my imagination or does windows 10 constantly change stuff around? Adding a screen used to be an easy task. Now it's WTH!!

If I want my background screen to change, I'll change it. I do not want suggestions and turning that off probably led to the next.

Somehow I managed to get icons only instead of the list of programs that used to show up on the left of the screen. There isn't enough room for them all, so I must not need access to them.:rant:

mgookin

I bought a laptop for a new employee back when 8 had come out. I spent 3 hours one Saturday trying to configure it and in that time could not get a browser open and connected to the Internet. I wiped the drive and put 7 on it. We configure 7 to behave like XP with a normal desktop, quick launch, etc. so that it is a tool to do work; imagine that. No 11 year old girls with butterflies and unicorns for grandma.

I have no desire to be a victim of 10.

kwired

Electron manager
I bought a laptop for a new employee back when 8 had come out. I spent 3 hours one Saturday trying to configure it and in that time could not get a browser open and connected to the Internet. I wiped the drive and put 7 on it. We configure 7 to behave like XP with a normal desktop, quick launch, etc. so that it is a tool to do work; imagine that. No 11 year old girls with butterflies and unicorns for grandma.

I have no desire to be a victim of 10.

You can configure both windows 8 and 10 to work in desktop mode - which is similar to what you were used to in all versions between windows 95 and windows 7. Yes it still has some variation but so did all of the earlier versions, it is still a desktop mode much more then the default mode of windows 8 or 10, which are tailored more for tablets and/or touch screen machines.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have windows do automatic updates and sometimes when they do it it does change the background. I noticed it on the sign in screen

mgookin

You can configure both windows 8 and 10 to work in desktop mode - which is similar to what you were used to in all versions between windows 95 and windows 7. Yes it still has some variation but so did all of the earlier versions, it is still a desktop mode much more then the default mode of windows 8 or 10, which are tailored more for tablets and/or touch screen machines.

That'swhatI'veheardbutifIhavetofightitfor3hoursIdon'twanttouseit.Myspacebarjuststoppedworking...IguessitdoesnotlikemetalkingbadaboutWindows!:)

edit: Test.

Working now...

Here's what I was trying to say:

That's what I've heard but if I have to fight it for 3 hours it's not for me.

kwired

Electron manager
That'swhatI'veheardbutifIhavetofightitfor3hoursIdon'twanttouseit.Myspacebarjuststoppedworking...IguessitdoesnotlikemetalkingbadaboutWindows!:)

edit: Test.

Working now...

Here's what I was trying to say:

That's what I've heard but if I have to fight it for 3 hours it's not for me.
I forgot how I did it when my computer was new and was running win 8. It kept that setting when upgraded to win 10.

It may have taken a while to figure out how, but Google is your friend here. A little different method to change in win 8 vs win 10 but pretty easy once you know what to do. Win 8 you do have to open desktop and then right click on taskbar and open "properties" and somewhere in there is the setting you need to change. Win 10 is easier - click on action center bottom right corner of screen and there is a button to toggle from desktop to tablet mode.

__dan

Win 7 used to be a version that worked but that may in the past now.

Windows update no longer works if you have it set to update manually. It just hangs, downloading your updates but accumulating zero. Two pc's that I tried. Setting it to install updates automatically and now, presto, Windows is now up to date, but it happened too fast for it to download and install anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

Electric-Light

Is everything genuine?

I've converted (note converted, not upgraded) to 10 and I'm not really a fan of it. I give it credit for it being really easy to install but Win 10 in itself is a bloatware. I don't like those stupid apps, Cortana, inking and so on.

kwired

Electron manager
Is everything genuine?

I've converted (note converted, not upgraded) to 10 and I'm not really a fan of it. I give it credit for it being really easy to install but Win 10 in itself is a bloatware. I don't like those stupid apps, Cortana, inking and so on.
So don't use them. I don't use them either, other then occasionally cortana to search for a file, the older search tools are apparently gone and you must use cortana, but the way I organized my personal files I never did use a search tool much before either.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I have my background image as a slide show of panoramic photos that split across two screens, and I've noticed about every other week it turns the slideshow off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager
No my desktop background.

The lock screen changes on a regular basis to whatever MS wants it to be.

Pretty sure you can customize either, not sure why yours wants to change though. Possibly is happening when updates are applied though.

One other thought is the location of the file you wish to use for this. If you happen to have it in a temporary file location maybe it gets "cleaned" by some utility you are using for cleanup purposes and windows goes back to defaults if file isn't found?

A check of either the location or settings of a cleanup utility may fix this if that is what is happening.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
The lock screen is just set to whatever bing image MS is using...... but my desktop backgrounds are in a OneDrive folder so it's the same across all computers.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
The lock screen is just set to whatever bing image MS is using...... but my desktop backgrounds are in a OneDrive folder so it's the same across all computers.
The default Windows 10 Lock Screen images are stored in C:\Windows\Web\Screen.

I get a different lock screen every day by using the "Amazing lock screen" app...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/amazing-lock-screen/9wzdncrfj321

Because I don't see the lock screen often, I have "Amazing lock screen" automatically download the daily photo to a local folder.... then I have the desktop set to slideshow and point it to the downloaded photos folder.

Also, I get the same desktop background photos on my other Windows 10 computers simply by turning on Sync and Theme in Settings. I believe this relies on being signed on to the same Microsoft account... which is no big deal if you are using OneDrive.

Electric-Light

I just uninstalled the stupid apps a little while ago. Windows decided to update to Anniversary Edition in the background without my knowledge and this took my computer out of service that day. When i came back, junkware like 3D Builder and Xbox came back :rant:

Status
Not open for further replies.