Wine Fridges

TwistLock

Occupation
Electrician
Client wants two large wine fridges in garage. Current draw for both appears negligible but manual requests dedicated 15a. Simple.
However my concern is nuisance tripping while clients travel. New dedicated circuit means mandatory CAFCI but the ‘room’ the fridges will go is a previously converted 1/3rd section of a 3 car garage into a Laundry room (walled off on all sides with passage doors) so GFCI also, 210.8(A)(10). (CA 2020 NEC).
I’m curious if all receptacles in Laundry area need to be GFCI or just the ones serving washer / dryer. This is a long room with w/d at far end.
I know the day will come when I get an angry call for an AFCI nuisance trip so I wondered about plug in / pass though power failure alarms but since clients travel that renders these useless during those times (even if set up to WiFi alert).
I’m looking for any thoughts on how others might handle or have handled this.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
First I would determine what brand and were there going to buy these wine fridges. Tell them if they don't buy from a reputable dealer and get the Amazon special its going to trip and your not responsible. I install almost everything even stuff I don't need on AFCI- GFCI breakers. Inform customer that if this trips its your cheap crap you bought( I tell them a little nicer) so far no angry call backs. I mostly get I should of listen to you. Does not answer you question, I don't have code book infant of me, I think its everyone in the laundry room.

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Installed a bunch of those in fancy kitchens years ago. We used dual function breakers, the units were generally stuffed into some millwork and never had a problem. Do they make hard wired models?

kwired

Electron manager
First I would determine what brand and were there going to buy these wine fridges. Tell them if they don't buy from a reputable dealer and get the Amazon special its going to trip and your not responsible. I install almost everything even stuff I don't need on AFCI- GFCI breakers. Inform customer that if this trips its your cheap crap you bought( I tell them a little nicer) so far no angry call backs. I mostly get I should of listen to you. Does not answer you question, I don't have code book infant of me, I think its everyone in the laundry room.
Do they have a pocket sized code book now? :cool:

kwired

Electron manager
Installed a bunch of those in fancy kitchens years ago. We used dual function breakers, the units were generally stuffed into some millwork and never had a problem. Do they make hard wired models?
That's just it, if they were in a kitchen or a wet bar area they would be on AFCI anyway. Would also have GFCI protection if within six feet of the sink.

TwistLock

Occupation
Electrician
Thanks for the input. It just is what it is so explaining (in writing / email) the caveats first and rolling dice is the course then. When mfg. states dedicated I can't see the need, due to low draw, to provide more than one circuit to serve both fridges. Unless one turning on while other turns off or both turning on at same time somehow amplifies what the AFCI algorithm responds to, making two DF breakers make sense. (My assumption of mfg. wanting a dedicated line, with such low current draw, was to avoid interruptions from other equip & user forced errors on shared line. A second fridge is 'other' equip of course but unlikely to cause any overloads.)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The requirement for all receptacles in the laundry area to have GFCI protection was added in the 2014 code. At that time it only applied to 15 and 20 amp receptacles on 120 volt circuits.
In the 2023 it applies to single phase receptacle supplied by a branch circuit of 150 volts or less to ground, without a maximum current limit.