Wire abrasion/wear protection

Space

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
Hello all, looking for any product or manner to provide additional abrasion/mechanical wear protection on an industrial vibrating unit. There is a hard metallic edge where the wires exit the conduit and enter inside the junction box (peckerhead) that tends to rub and wear. The branch circuit wires (THHN) are crimped with insulated ring lugs and fastened to a 6 stud motor terminal block inside the motor junction box . It comes from the factory with insulation putty to hold down the motors wiring and we add some additional insulation putty to help hold down the branch circuit wires.

I have been utilizing some 3M glass cloth electrical tape wrapped around the wires in the area of the metallic edge. I ask the question here so I can see what the professionals like yourselves utilize in the field for an issue like this.

Thank you for your time.

Space

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
No, but visualize the wires emerging from an RMC threaded coupling and to the left and to the right of the wires would be the inside wall of the peckerhead.

Space

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
Sorry for no photo, its just my company doesn't allow photography on site. I will try to find the model of the vibrator.

Ohm2

Occupation
Electrician
Sorry for no photo, it’s just my company doesn't allow photography on site. I will try to find the model of the vibrator.
That’s understandable they had the same restrictions at the New Facebook building we did

Space

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
Basically what I need is an anti-shorting plastic bushing that will fit and stay inside 1/2"' NPT female threads like a RMC/IMC coupler.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Another option might be a close nipple and a bushing.

I'm wondering why a female thread was the last fitting.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I have had instructions for vibrating equipment that required the motor junction box to be packed completely full of duct seal to prevent the wires from moving and the insulation being worn off.

TwoBlocked

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
Been dealing with this sort of thing with water/solids separator vibrators. The problem isn't where the wires exit the peckerhead (they are cables), it's where the wires connect to the terminals. Best I can guess is the terminals are getting over tightened and the wires are weakened and break off from the terminals from the vibration. They are service posts:

1725741322314.png

Space

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
Been dealing with this sort of thing with water/solids separator vibrators. The problem isn't where the wires exit the peckerhead (they are cables), it's where the wires connect to the terminals. Best I can guess is the terminals are getting over tightened and the wires are weakened and break off from the terminals from the vibration. They are service posts:

View attachment 2573353
We have some of the wires break as well where the very small AWG winding conductors are crimped to the terminal ring lugs. Usually its caused buy a lack of putty to hold it down, and/or the something is causing to vibrate significantly more than normal ie. (incorrect setting, broken vibrator mount etc.) These are only like 1/2-3/4 HP 3 phase vibrators.

Space

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
Another option might be a close nipple and a bushing.

I'm wondering why a female thread was the last fitting.
The peckerhead and frame/casing of the vibrator unit are cast together as one and the factory. The conduit that terminates at the peckerhead is LFMC, but the threaded hole is so deep the LFMC fitting will not emerge inside the peckerhead and there are a few remaining threads. There are probably longer threaded fittings out there that would thread all the way through.