Wire-Bending Space in Power Junction Boxes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LMAO

I am not real famliar with "Wire Bending Space" concept; so if I have a power junction box for a motor (VFD output), the wire bending space is the distance from termination point to the box entrance?

Also, we have 2x750MCM terminating in our power J-boxes, so per NEC2002 430.10, we need 19" from our bus lugs to the power junction box entance?

thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am not real famliar with "Wire Bending Space" concept; so if I have a power junction box for a motor (VFD output), the wire bending space is the distance from termination point to the box entrance?

Also, we have 2x750MCM terminating in our power J-boxes, so per NEC2002 430.10, we need 19" from our bus lugs to the power junction box entance?

thanks

I think you got it.

mbeatty

thanks

Just to clarify, per Table 312.6(B, note 1), Bending space at terminals should be measured in a straight line from the end of the lug or wire connector in a direction perpendicular to the enclosure wall.

IMHO, the enclosure wall, quite frequently, is not the same wall as where the entrance and/or exit is located. :)

LMAO

Just to clarify, per Table 312.6(B, note 1), Bending space at terminals should be measured in a straight line from the end of the lug or wire connector in a direction perpendicular to the enclosure wall.

IMHO, the enclosure wall, quite frequently, is not the same wall as where the entrance and/or exit is located. :)

wait a minute; so I have a power j-box for VFD output and customer is bringing 2x750MCM per lug, does that mean my box should be a 40"x40"x40" box with three bus lugs in the middle (per NEC 19" for 2x750MCM)?!!! Makes no sense. :confused:
You are correct about their wording but when they say "enclosure wall" I am sure they are talking about the gland plate (cable entry).

Status
Not open for further replies.