Wire dispenser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dansos

We are setting up for a pretty big wire pull that is going to require (4) 2/0AL wires over 700’. I’m trying to figure out what would be the best way to set up the wire so it doesn’t become a total disaster once we start pulling.
We have Rack-A-Tiers wire dispensers and I love using them but we have tried to pull off two separate ones and it didn’t work out the best.
I was thinking of having the spools on a piece of RMC and reeling it out one of the trucks, but I’m not sure how that would work out either.
Any suggestions for this?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician
We had a pickup with unistrut on the top of the bed sides. Put the spools on RMC axle, clamp to strut. It will be heavy to lift, see if wholesale house can use fork lift.
We also had reel jacks.
Rack a tiers won't work for this, too insecure.

Dansos

We had a pickup with unistrut on the top of the bed sides. Put the spools on RMC axle, clamp to strut. It will be heavy to lift, see if wholesale house can use fork lift.
We also had reel jacks.
Rack a tiers won't work for this, too insecure.
Totally agree with rack a tiers not working. I’ve had a single spool tip over let alone 4 monsters. Awesome idea with the strut too. Only issue I see with that IN OUR SITUATION, I’m not sure we can get the truck level enough to keep rolls dispensing smoothly

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Totally agree with rack a tiers not working. I’ve had a single spool tip over let alone 4 monsters. Awesome idea with the strut too. Only issue I see with that IN OUR SITUATION, I’m not sure we can get the truck level enough to keep rolls dispensing smoothly
Strap the conduit to the strut to halt front-rear movement, and use a short bigger pipe as a spacer to halt side movement.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Reel jacks, 2 men at reels 1 feeding/ lubing into pipe 1 on chugger, total of (4). Unless you can rig the feed off the reels to self feed then 1 guy on chugger 1 guy lubing. Radios.
I did 750alu. With just the 2 man version.
2/0 alu isn't that hard to work with, just keep it square. Probably do it with 3 men, how good are your men at pulling wire?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Forget Rack-a-tiers you need big boy reel jacks. Something like this:
pulling-cables.jpg

480sparky

Any supply house that can cut and ship that size wire all spooled up for you should have the jack stands available. Maybe with a fee, maybe included in the purchase.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
4 700' runs on 1 reel is not doable.

Sent from my LML211BL using Tapatalk
Should be doable, you can get 4/0 quadraplex on 1000' spools, and the op is using 2/0. Graybar will even ship it spooled with pulling eyes already attached. You can even get it on a rolling reel that you just move around with a fork lift or pallet jack. Used them before with 600 kcmil cu.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
We would get it all on one spool then use a set of Itoolco reel jacks.

The greenlee jacks posted above let the spool pipe and spool fall off when you pull on the wire.

Todd0x1

Those southwire simpull flanges are cool! They look really well designed. Seems like it would take alot longer to set up vs axle and a pair of jack stands, but easier to move around and probably safer.

Status
Not open for further replies.