Wire Markings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevinh

We produce commercial appliances our products are ETL listed however we are owned by a German company and they ship there products to us and theirs are ETL listed in Germany. My question is, that the wiring inside there appliance has no marking on the insulation NONE. We are told by our ETL testing laboratory that the wire must be marked with the usual stuff ie 18AWG UL blah blah. Does anyone know what gives here??? There units do have the proper wires with marking where the electrician makes his connections.

bphgravity

If the wire marking is subject to the requirements of the standard used to investigate the suitability and operation of the equipment, it will have to be corrected for the listing.

Kevinh

Thanks

Thanks

So does NEC not have anything to do with the internal wiring of the appliance since it is covered by a UL standard?

bphgravity

The NEC is not a product standard. ETL or any other NRTL does not use the NEC to determine suitablity of a product or equipment...

sandsnow

bphgravity said:
The NEC is not a product standard. ETL or any other NRTL does not use the NEC to determine suitablity of a product or equipment...

Bryan
I would say they do use the NEC in their investigation. Fittings are investigated for their suitability for gounding to comply with NEC (as evidenced by marking on the carton) or the recent discusson of a MLO panelboard as suitable for service equipment. An AC cable connector would have to have a window to see the red head to be listed. Much of the guide card info states products are investigated to determine suitability to comply with NEC section such and such.

I agree though that the NEC does not specify test procedures as a product standard would.

Status
Not open for further replies.