Wire new construction bidding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malywr

How much do you charge for new construction residential in NJ

I am new to bidding and would like to get base price how much it would be for basic wiring of new construction house? I just bidding for three houses and lost all of them. I know one home owners hire somebody without a license but the other two I think I were too high.
Could someone from NJ pm me or respond

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I think you will find that different contractors have different skill sets. Some are very good at what you might think of as "basic" wiring and can get it done expeditiously and at minimum cost. others are better at more high end stuff and do that better.

If you want to compete in the down and dirty side of things, you and your people will have to be at the top of your game for that type of work.

Tcouillard

Occupation
Electrician
How much do you charge for new construction residential in NJ

I am new to bidding and would like to get base price how much it would be for basic wiring of new construction house? I just bidding for three houses and lost all of them. I know one home owners hire somebody without a license but the other two I think I were too high.
Could someone from NJ pm me or respond
I’m from NH we are charging $8.00 a square foot for new construction

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I
I’m from NH we are charging $8.00 a square foot for new construction
I don't understand how to price by the area. There are so many variables, from bare code minimum to full-on custom. Then there's low-voltage systems, landscape lighting, detached buildings, a well, etc.

Even in the cheapest homes, I do a room-by-room imaginary walk-through with the customer, then make plans I can work from. Only then can I make a materials list and calculate labor based on time.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
How do you plan your $8/sq foot? New service drop, new main panel (INSIDE, please!). X outlets per room, central ceiling light (fan-rated box?). Heavy-duty wiring for the kitchen (electric stove / dishwasher / fridge) and dining room. Outside lights, more than just one at the front door. Outside outlets for holiday lighting. Heating cable on roof to prevent ice dams? Heating cable under the driveway? Landscape lighting?
Will you be wiring phone/cable TV/speakers/other hifi things? Remote control extenders? If not wiring, leaving smurf tubes to the likely control points? (and, no, you can't just say "all the computer stuff will be wireless--" those connections are always flakey).
Garage-- copied from the thread about charging for garages--
However you do it, don't skimp on outlets-- especially if a home shop is planned!
Don't forget the ElectroCar outlet. Or the ElectroDoor!
Will the washer and dryer live in the garage? Hot Water Maker?
Utility sink (but that's not electric...). Utility bathroom and its wires?
I'm assuming this is going to be a 2-car garage, with extended depth to allow for all the things that get stored in the garage. 2nd door in the back so you can drive through with the boat or trailer??
Basement-- home shop down here? Ground-level outside door with lighting... what parts of the list under "Garage" will be in the basement?
I don't think you can assign a flat rate based on square footage, unless you talk to the builder/homeowner and find out what they want!

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
My price per square foot if I break it down that way goes from $25- $78.
Like everyone said all depends on the house.
I noticed for me smaller homes seem like they should be cheaper but end up more per square foot.
Just get an estimating program and then you will feel better.

Tcouillard

Occupation
Electrician
How do you plan your $8/sq foot? New service drop, new main panel (INSIDE, please!). X outlets per room, central ceiling light (fan-rated box?). Heavy-duty wiring for the kitchen (electric stove / dishwasher / fridge) and dining room. Outside lights, more than just one at the front door. Outside outlets for holiday lighting. Heating cable on roof to prevent ice dams? Heating cable under the driveway? Landscape lighting?
Will you be wiring phone/cable TV/speakers/other hifi things? Remote control extenders? If not wiring, leaving smurf tubes to the likely control points? (and, no, you can't just say "all the computer stuff will be wireless--" those connections are always flakey).
Garage-- copied from the thread about charging for garages--
However you do it, don't skimp on outlets-- especially if a home shop is planned!
Don't forget the ElectroCar outlet. Or the ElectroDoor!
Will the washer and dryer live in the garage? Hot Water Maker?
Utility sink (but that's not electric...). Utility bathroom and its wires?
I'm assuming this is going to be a 2-car garage, with extended depth to allow for all the things that get stored in the garage. 2nd door in the back so you can drive through with the boat or trailer??
Basement-- home shop down here? Ground-level outside door with lighting... what parts of the list under "Garage" will be in the basement?
I don't think you can assign a flat rate based on square footage, unless you talk to the builder/homeowner and find out what they want!
It truly is different for everyone also I know NJ is more expensive (I believe than NH) but I just finished a 2600 square foot house priced them in for $8.00 a square foot that typically covers everything unless you have a really long underground but if your just going overhead you’ll be fine. Also make sure you build a good relationship with a supply house so you can get better prices.

Also VERY important this pricing is not included light fixtures.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Wiring several small rooms is more involved than wiring a few larger rooms with the same total area.

All-electric or gas, too? Ceiling height, number of floors, slab or crawl, any sub-panels, generator-ready?

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
I noticed for me smaller homes seem like they should be cheaper but end up more per square foot.
I did a 1100 house that was simpler but had an overhead service. It came out to 11 bucks a square ft if it had been a 1800 size house with just bigger rooms it would've been closer to 8 or 9 a ft but still been a bigger bill in the end.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I'm with Larry. At a minimum, I would suggest you work up price for a 200Amp service standard install A price for one receptacle, 15 feet of romex, box cover wire nuts etc. and labor, do that for a can light, a 100 foot home run, a lighting outlet. A single pole and a set of 3 way switches, etc. Then count how many you need on the job and add them up.

cdslotz

I

I don't understand how to price by the area. There are so many variables, from bare code minimum to full-on custom. Then there's low-voltage systems, landscape lighting, detached buildings, a well, etc.

Even in the cheapest homes, I do a room-by-room imaginary walk-through with the customer, then make plans I can work from. Only then can I make a materials list and calculate labor based on time.
This is my go-to sarcastic answer to "how much do you charge" questions

Malywr

It truly is different for everyone also I know NJ is more expensive (I believe than NH) but I just finished a 2600 square foot house priced them in for $8.00 a square foot that typically covers everything unless you have a really long underground but if your just going overhead you’ll be fine. Also make sure you build a good relationship with a supply house so you can get better prices.

Also VERY important this pricing is not included light fixtures.

No fixtures?
How about panel and service is included in that price ?
Now days breakers are very expensive just material would be couple thousand

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I think you may find that there are contractors who are very good at doing bare minimum code compliant work. You will probably not be able to compete with them price wise on bare bones work.

Malywr

I think you may find that there are contractors who are very good at doing bare minimum code compliant work. You will probably not be able to compete with them price wise on bare bones work.

I understand that
I would like to learn how much is (average) minimum in NJ
As far I see now it must be $3-4
I assume minimum receptacles
Receptacle on switch or one lamp per room

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Malywr

Can i get free sample or trial program What would you recommend

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
No fixtures?
How about panel and service is included in that price ?
Now days breakers are very expensive just material would be couple thousand
I am used to seeing can lights being part of the price, but nothing else. Many exclude the trim for the cans.

Status
Not open for further replies.