Wire nuts for #6 wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marinesgt0411

the box I have looked at says wire range is #14-#8 for blue wire nuts

just started thinking that I have never seen a wire nut rated for #6 wire.have always used split bolts and just started to wonder why.

going to go do a search of Ideal wire nuts

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Polaris and NSI make insulated bugs. Irrespective of what thw wire nut mfr's say, when it comes to amperage ratings I'd rather use these bugs than a wire nut. If I can find a link I'll post it here.

DGrant041

I've also liked lugs bolted together for some of the motors that had #6 or larger supplying them. Usually had a couple of motor leads for each supply line. Followed up w/ mylar (sp?), 3M 125C "streach" tape, and 2 layers of Super 33+. That always lasted longer than the motor. :D

. . .come to think of it, if it was just #6, I didn't use the mylar; just a layer of 33+ upside down. The mylar would have taken up too much space.

Edit once for spelling!

iwire

Staff member
I doubt I will ever by split bolts I just never liked them.

There are just so many other choices many of which are pre-insulated and easily removable / reusable that IMO split bolts are history.

But as far as the OP I would use the Idea 454s that where already mentioned.

paul

iwire said:
I doubt I will ever by split bolts I just never liked them.

There are just so many other choices many of which are pre-insulated and easily removable / reusable that IMO split bolts are history.

But as far as the OP I would use the Idea 454s that where already mentioned.

I agree with the Polaris type connectors out now. A bit more money, but well worth the savings in labor. Great for motor connections. If the rotation is backwards. No problem.

sparky_magoo

I think blue wire nuts fail. I know they fail because I have done too many service calls to fix them. I have been on calls to fix Polaras connectors. The Polaris connectors fail because of corosoin. I have never been on a call to fix a properply slpiced split bolt connection.

Onitram

U-Bolt

U-Bolt

sparky_magoo said:
I think blue wire nuts fail. I know they fail because I have done too many service calls to fix them. I have been on calls to fix Polaras connectors. The Polaris connectors fail because of corosoin. I have never been on a call to fix a properply slpiced split bolt connection.

I have never been on a call to fix a properly spliced split bolt"Burndy" connection . seen many blue nuts with #6 and #8 burned from being not done properly twisted...loose..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.