Wire Nuts in Fire Alarm Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenman215

I have no idea what you mean and there is no way in heck I will be convinced MC is more likely to be damaged by other trades than low energy cable.
Maybe you used a better quality cable then we did. The stuff we were supplied had a bending radius of no less then 10", and was wound so tight around the cable that stripping it, even with rotosplits, was incredibly difficult. I promise you, I'm not making this up. Worst cable I've ever worked with. By far...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Truthfully I agree with you but I do not agree with Peter that they are make work rules.

I think that if we traced them back we would find they go back to folks thinking they are adding to safety without any real thought or study going into it.

As far as having to use fire alarm MC on a job that is otherwise all metal raceways or cables makes sense to me. Low energy cable is cheap crap prone to ground faults .... Using it is 'make future work' planning.

In more than one place in this Country I have seen more insidious reasons for excessive codes than you cite. "Make work" may be a little less the reason than exclusion of those who aren't entrenched in an area. Most often, a new electrician tries his hand and gets burned because he doesn't know the local codes. Many of which are only pulled out and enforced for the new guy. Hence the use of wire nuts in Rhode Island, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.