wire rated for being in a fireplace?

Occupation
Electrician
I have a customer with a battery operated firestarter that she wants to move to be inside of a nearby cabinet. It's just like a 16/2 wire that runs from the unit to the actual ignition source in the fireplace, but I would have to replace those wires or otherwise extend them and it made me think:

The highest rated wire we have is for 90C, which is only like 200F. Some insulation types have insulation rated for up to 482F, but the temperature of a literal fire is 500F on the low end per google.

I honestly don't know of any rule in the nec that governs wires in or around literal fire, and wondered if maybe I'm overthinking the matter?

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
I think this is an appliance issue and not so much a code issue. I have gas fireplaces that have both millivolt thermostats and 120V blower fans. One fan died, and when I replaced it, I noticed the old power wires were very brittle and melted. The new fan came with ceramic wire nuts. I bought some high temp wire (250C I think) that I used to connect to the fan leads and then extend out to where the 120V power came in through the fireplace. I'm not sure how this is supposed to be done, but the previous owner who connected this up I don't think they did it right as they ran zip cord from the junction box to the gas control box in the fire place. Seems like any place in the fire box is going to be hotter than you can use normal PVC wire.

The thermostat wire was easier. It routes out through the glass front of the fireplace, so it isn't as hot. I think it is PVC, maybe 125C rated. It seems fine and there is no shock hazard with the millivolt units.

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
McMaster-Carr has wire with ceramic and mica insulation, rated to over 1800 degrees:

SceneryDriver

kwired

Electron manager
Is it a spark igniter? If so you might need to deal with quite high voltage even though the unit is battery powered.

Jon
Plus the conductors leading to such igniters are often not in an area that sees extreme temperatures. Still may need to be over 90C but not necessarily over 250C.