Wire ratings for potable water?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fastline

To be brief we are trying to help someone with a project in which sensor wires need to be in potable water. NSF seems to be one of the standards for "drinking water safe" ratings but I have never seen NSF rated wire. The closest I can come is submersible pump wire which is THW, but nothing to do with "potable water safe"..... Somehow he will be required to show that this device is safe even though common sense can support that.

It seems all wire insulation like this is driven back through UL83.....but do you think I can find that standard anywhere? nope. Pay a grand just to know what is in it.....not.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Like UL is to electrical equipment, the National Sanitation Foundation is to food safety and equipment that impacts public health. I suspect that if you contact the NSF (NSF.org) with the specifics of the project they will be able to advise you.

There is nothing Code wise that applies to what you are asking and unless someone here has some some experience with NSF listed wire I'm afraid we have nothing for you.

-Hal

fastline

I did have a conversation with the NSF today and they had nothing in regards to "pump wire" being in a potable water well. There is no NSF rating for that, but they were excited to charge 13K to test this assemble and give a certification! I will put it to you like this, for 13K, I will go to Home Depot, grab a stick of sch40 PVC, cut a piece and put in a jar. After a week I will test that water for contaminates. that is the most expensive water test I have ever heard of! lol

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Interesting, UL meets NSF.
There are thousands and thousands of water wells with submersible pump cable, some installs for 50+ years.
Does UL test for drinking water contamination from submersible pump cable.
Maybe should leave this one alone, UL or NSF, could see there is money to be made.

fastline

I think it really is sort of a loophole and I am sure certain jurisdictions love to have a field day with water well BS. I have heard in our area "you must be licensed to take the well cap off".....Yet no one ever inspects the pumps that go in, no NSF ratings on them, no one checks all the fittings for "compliance", wire, nah.....

So yes, we are just going to live loose here as I think I could argue this point pretty strongly should it come up.

Believe it or not, I am a pretty strong advocate for my drinking water....lol I have actually seen wells where the cap is just missing. It really annoys me because that is exactly how people get sick.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Getting the can opener here: many wire insulation formulations contain lead as a thermal stabilizer. This lead can leach out into water.

This is almost certainly being phased out, but I'd not dismiss the concern that bad stuff could leach out of a wire not specifically manufactured to be immersed in potable water.

Jon

fastline

A very large part of the wire and electrical industry has had to move to RoHS compliance because you cannot get a CE cert without that. ROHS is a European standard to get dangerous compounds and elements out of the industry.

I am not dismissing all safety concerns but if a wire is RoHS compliant, you know it is pretty darn clean, even without NSF.

Status
Not open for further replies.