Wire resistance table for smaller than #18?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCRllc

Occupation
LV Systems Integration
Can someone please point me to a table in the NEC that lists resistance of conductors smaller than those shown in Table 8? Thanks in advance!

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
Can someone please point me to a table in the NEC that lists resistance of conductors smaller than those shown in Table 8? Thanks in advance!
It is not a NEC issue or documented, but if you are looking for resistance for other reasons, you can find wire tables many places on the web. In my case, I use the knowledge that every 3 AWG number steps is a 2:1 change in resistance, then I interpolate.

For example, within 10% for sure, #10 is 1 ohm/1000 ft. From my "rule", #13 is 2 ohm/1000, #16 is 4 ohm/1000, #19 is 8 ohm/1000, #22 is 16 ohm/1000.

Since the relation is logarithmic, the interpolation is difficult, but with confidence I can say that #18 is about 7 ohms. #20 is about 10 or 11 ohms.

If you cannot find in on the web (I would use Google and search for "copper wire tables"), let me know and I'll dig a little myself.

SCRllc

Occupation
LV Systems Integration
Thank you for the thoughtful replies. In the license prep class, John pointed out a table with information on smaller conductors.
I had a test question: “what is the resistance of 1000’ of #20 copper wire”. As it turns out, I guessed the correct answer 10.4 ohms. But if the question was on the test then it must be in the book somewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.