wire size for circuit breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwyllie

What has been people's experience on the largest wire size you can fit(as per manuf's instructions? on to a 2P,20A circuit breakers lug? I have a very large distance of roadway lighting and for the voltage drop to be below 3% I would need #4AWG. I believe Cutler Hammer said they have a circuit breaker listed for that. Thanks

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: wire size for circuit breakers

Bwyllie, just tap a smaller wire on the #4 in the panel, or at a location close to the panel.

Roger

iwire

Staff member

6 AWG is probably what you are going to find, there is no reason not to splice on a short piece of smaller wire onto the 4 AWG in order to terminate on the breaker.

We will usually do this in a trough or can outside the panel but you can do it in the panel.

If you want to get fancy you can use crimp on "pin connectors" but you need the correct crimping tool.

Pin connectors crimp on a wire and have a pin sticking out smaller than the conductor, they are made just for this problem.

bwyllie

thanks, I think since this lighting is controlled via a contactor panel located adjacent to the panel I will run #6 from the c/b to contactor and #4 from the contactor out to the ltg.

stew

I saw a very interesting solution to this way back when. Someone had taken a short piece of 1/4-20 all thread and ground off the threads on about 1/2 inch and put it under the compression tab of the breaker nice and tite. They left about 3/8 of an inch sticking out and attached the wire real nicely with a ring terminal and double nutted it to the all thread. This dang thing was in operation for many many years before I happened upon it. Should have taken a picture I guess so everone could see just hoe creative our craft can be!!

tonyi

20A Cutler BR's I've got on hand have torque specs for up to #4 wire.

There's two completely different style connections on CH's I've seen. An older style is a screw you slip the wire under - that wouldn't be suitable for #4. Newer one seem to use a lug somewhat similar to newer THQL's.

hai bwyllie, if culter says, they have a circuit breaker for that, use the same one. if not, you can keep one isolator close to main panel. Rating as per FLA, from there connect cable as per voltage drop calculation.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Gentlemen, most of you are making this to hard.

Bwyllie, you can use any combination of conductors as long as the total resistance will sustain the voltage minus the drop you can live with.

Example, run #12 if you would like to a distance of 50' from the panel, then using all the variables from the breaker to the end load, upsize to what ever conductor it would take to limit the amount of voltage drop you are willing to have from this point.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.