wire size

Status
Not open for further replies.

jociha

I removed a old roof top unit 208v 3p on a 400a breaker. I will be using that existing breaker and the 3in EMT feeding up to the roof. It will now be feeding two RTU's with MCA's of 122a each and MOCP of 150a. I will split the wire at the two fused disconnects next to each other. Can i size the wire for 244a or must it be sized for 400a? john

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Re: wire size

my opinion (based on 430.62 & 440.22b). A 244 amp conductor would be o.k. if the breaker was sized at 300. But if you keep the 400 amp breaker the conductors would need to be rated above 350. I feel we will have amost interesting discussion here.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

The original feeder can remain on the 400 amp CB if it's conductors are rated for 400 amps. Or the 400 amp CB will need to be resized to protect the feeder if the conductors are sized for less than 400 amps. This would be providing that your fuse protection at the unit disconnects doesn't exceed 150 amps and your taps from the original feeder are 25' or less.

The minimum circuit ampacity already has an increase in size by 125% so you wouldn't need to increase the minimum size.

benaround

Jociha,

Using the same code articles as 'augie47' I read that you can wire for 244a and use 400c.b.

That aside,have you thought about bringing both 122a mca conductors thru the 3" pipe?? It may cut down on potential conflicts if wired as manafacturer has on name plate.

jociha

I did think of that but because of tap rules i would than need to locate fused disconnects near panel and add two more disconnects on roof. And there in not any room near panel for a tap box and two fused disconnests.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)

Frank,
If the two nameplates call for 150 amp MOCP (sum of 300A) and the conductors are rated 244. how can we justify going above a 300 amp breaker?
No matter which calculation we use 440.22C says we can't exceed the mfg rating of 150..two 150's =300, a standard rating.

allenwayne

These are a/c units.What matters is what the new units data plate says.Min. ampacity tells us the wire sizing needsto be ( min .),our ocpd shall be what the unit has listed as max size throught

Status
Not open for further replies.