wire size

Status
Not open for further replies.

acid75070

I have a 4 inch pvc conduit that is underground going to a tran socket which then goes to a 400-amp disconnect that is fused at 400-amps. They are showing me on the drawings to pull 2 sets of 4-3/0 in the same conduit do you have to derate them as per 310-15 and if so what would you pull in that conduit. The voltage is 480/277 3 phase 4 wire service.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You do need to derate so you have to see the cost difference between pulling 2 sets of 3/0 ,or possibly 4/0 if you have to derate , and pulling 500 MCM's if your load is under 380amps.

Depending if your neutral is considered a current carrying conductor you would have to derate either 70 or 80%.

Check art. 310.15(B)(4) for the neutral conductor info.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
acid75070 said:
I have a 4 inch pvc conduit that is underground going to a tran socket which then goes to a 400-amp disconnect that is fused at 400-amps. They are showing me on the drawings to pull 2 sets of 4-3/0 in the same conduit do you have to derate them as per 310-15 and if so what would you pull in that conduit. The voltage is 480/277 3 phase 4 wire service.

8 250's would fit and give you 406A after derating.

What do you mean by tran socket?

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
infinity said:
Who is they? Didn't they know that they designed something less than 400 amps?
Thats why I asked what a tran socket is. 400A to a 400A meter base? Its rated for 320 continious?

This sounds like CT's should be considered.

Ask the PE for plan B.;)

acid75070

acid75070 said:
OK they are coming from the secondary side of the transformer to the meter base from the meter base to a 400-amp 3 phase 4 wire fused disconnect and the disconnect has 400 amp fuses in it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.