Wire Terminations at C/B's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
110.12 is non-enforcible. Since when did it matter if a little copper showed? Use the strip gage on the side of the breaker, or whatever the instructions per 110.3(B) say. If torquing is required, do that. Move on.

raider1

Staff member
Is anyone aware of anything in the Code that says no copper wire can be visible when terminated in a C/B?

There is no specific code section that prohibits a copper conductor from being stripped a little bit long and having the copper visible at the breaker.

IMHO, 110.12 neat and workmanlike manner is unenforceable.

Chris

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
There is no specific code section that prohibits a copper conductor from being stripped a little bit long and having the copper visible at the breaker.

IMHO, 110.12 neat and workmanlike manner is unenforceable.

Chris

I agree on both counts.

Is anyone aware of anything in the Code that says no copper wire can be visible when terminated in a C/B?

The problem is that 'little' is undefined.
The NEC will be of no help here.
The danger is flash-over and live exposed parts, so as a general guideline you would not want the uninsulated portion of the cable pass the perimiter of the surrounding case insulation. The danger here is that the freshly pulled insulation will shrink back, also aided by the heating cycles when the conductors get loaded up, gradually exposing more and more bare conductor. So as a practical matter, you want to cut as close as needed to minimize conductor exposure.

As there is no specific code limiting the measurement for the amount of bare copper that is exposed at the circuit breaker termination, I would say it comes down to experience.

I think that approach is a slippery slope. (See my previous comment about 'little'.)

I would rather say that it is one area that the NEC should address along with arc-over distances and minimum live-to-ground clearences per groups of voltages.

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Just about all molded-case breakers have strip gauges molded into the side of the case. That's a good place to start, at least.

In my opinion, it's better to err on the side of maximum contact between the conductor and the terminal.

I agree that the ideal length is where no conductor shows and no insulation is pinched. I bother to trim when trimming out.

PetrosA

I would say the ideal strip length is maybe 1/16" (2mm) beyond the lug or plate area. Longer than that and there's a risk that you could accidentally hit a live section of wire while installing or removing other wires in the panel.

Check out table 408.56

Forgot about that one.:confused:

I think this and the creepeage should be in a more general section, perhaps in the same section where acess and working spaces are defined around electrical equipment. In the same area I also would like to see some minimum working space defined around the components that would make serviceability an issue to eliminate knucklebusters.

Status
Not open for further replies.