wire type

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am getting ready to wire a pub that holds more than 150 people. Although MC cable is the practical way of wiring it, can I run NM cable throughout the establishment to save the owner,my friend a ton of t&M. I have been hearing different answers.
NM as long as it's concealed...Except above drop ceilings, of course
Anything outside the walls should be MC or pipe.

Can anyone help???????

Buck Parrish

You might check with your local AHJ. Some areas have ordinances where you have to use all metal.
Their are other variations of buildings where it is not allowed, too.
Are you in a 4 story builing.
Is it a row of buildings attached, etc...

mdshunk

I really don't see you being able to use much NM cable in a pub, since it really is a place of assembly. Perhaps in the kitchen and offices, if concealed. Pubs normally have E sheets that went through plan review. Is the project far enough along to have approved plans yet? What do they say in this regard?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
with an occupancy of over 100, the key in this area is with the building inspector and to whether the comstruction is or is not fire rated per
518.4(B).

csparkrun

augie47 said:
with an occupancy of over 100, the key in this area is with the building inspector and to whether the comstruction is or is not fire rated per
518.4(B).
technical, but i think its over 99, ive seen the whole bldg be called place of assembly or ahj may just specify certain rms.

iwire

Staff member
csparkrun said:
technical, but i think its over 99, ive seen the whole bldg be called place of assembly or ahj may just specify certain rms.

Unless there is a code reason for it the AHJ can not do that.

Thanks for the reply
No, the building sits by itself.
I probably will just run mc cable to stop racking my brain. I was just trying to save the guy some t&m. Some other electricians did tell me that as long as its concealed behing sheetrock, it can happen, I don't know >

thanks for the reply
No, this owner is drawing it all up himself. I asked the inspector and he told me to read the book....Real nice guy............

mthead

wire type

quick thoughts on this scenario-if you were in new york[the state-not just the city]your place of assembly designation starts at 50 people or more--this means that any area falling under that designation requires the appropriate wiring method-in those areas at the very least say goodbye to the use of RX[NM].
So possibly some rooms [offices,closets..etc..,]might be able to still use RX as long as it didn't enter any dropped cieling areas as well.
You will still probably be using MC or any other place of assembly wiring method throughout the brunt of the installation.
2 different wiring methods and their associated transitions,watch the helpers to make sure they get the right method in the right location ,with the right bx's and cnnx's-?
I don't know -suddenly the T@M factors begin to loom large-1 mistake and the insp. 's going to look ever harder-is there really going to be much of a savings.
I also wonder about what the"other guys who are suggesting that behind sheetrock it's ok to use NM are saying? I'm not going to cast any aspersions here,however if an electrician was going to use any method because he thought the insp would not be aware of it because it wasn't readily apparent...,? Some one might be in for a rude awakening when it turned out that the inspector wasn't as dumb as he thought-"Ya' know what I'm sayin' ".

mdshunk

mthead said:
I also wonder about what the"other guys who are suggesting that behind sheetrock it's ok to use NM are saying? I'm not going to cast any aspersions here,however if an electrician was going to use any method because he thought the insp would not be aware of it because it wasn't readily apparent...,? Some one might be in for a rude awakening when it turned out that the inspector wasn't as dumb as he thought-"Ya' know what I'm sayin' ".
Hey, brother, the code says it's okay to use romex in non-dwelling occupancies as long as it is concealed. I wasn't even remotely suggesting that you conceal it (as in, try to hide it) from the inspector. You might have read wrongly.

Status
Not open for further replies.