Wireless equipment 'wires' and the code

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
An alarm company is changing their monitoring from hard wire to a wireless type.
We are helping them add the power for the new equipment, but in some locations they need raceways for part of the run from the new wireless equipment to a small 18" antenna on the roof.
Their wires go free air most of the building, then will enter our raceway and then go to and through the roof.
The wires are a coax (to the antenna) and a bonding (we have not seen any of this yet so don't have specifics, they come back after we install and pull the wires)

My question is what part of the code covers this type of installation, basically its mechanical protection only for coax.

They asked if they could tie their 18" antenna to our stub (2" emt in one location and 2" pvc in another), we said we would check, but we feel this is more of a structural or engineering question rather that a code question)

The only reference in the code I found was 810.12, but that doesn't look to apply in this case.

The

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Art 810 would apply. I have supported small antennas like you describe by the conduit penetrating the roof provided it is metallic and securely attached to the truss or building structure below. I normally provide a weatherhead at the top of the conduit "mast" through which to run the coax. Hopefully the antenna they use will have some type of standoff to space it an inch or so away from the conduit to clear the weatherhead.

You want to provide a ground on the coax (or a discharge unit) as close as possible to where the coax comes down through the roof. The conduit itself needs to be bonded as well but if it's clamped to building steel it should be covered.

810.10 talks about attaching an antenna to a pole or mast already used for power.

-Hal

cadpoint

I be sure to tie down exaclty how the application(s) with work with all
of the various possible structures, bay spacing, underneath and of course type of roof.

You don't want one of those free floating 90's in a large exposed framing span. :)

Is your company responsible for the hole penetrations ?
Around here working on a membrane roof can be upwards of $500.00 a pop!

A good review of the existing drawings is in order. Noting roof pitching, drain pockets, verses how the equipment needs to be to work (location). It might be marginal if a small stuctural, or major if larger and other various equipment is on roof.

Seems obvious enough, just my two cents; sounds like a fun job!

Status
Not open for further replies.