Wireless Lighting Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

frizbeedog

Since I have a couple of hours to kill before I watch cars go around in circles for three hours, a.k.a. NASCAR, I think I'll do a product test. I have a Lutron, AuroRa wireless lighting control system for 5 locations. Apparantly I'll be able to dim lights from any location I choose to install the switches and turn on and off the lights with remotes. They even give you one to use in the car. Turn on the lights before you enter the door. Cool thing is, my car has homelink, so supposedly when I pull in the driveway I can turn on the lights. If you have any experience with these "out of the box, ready to go systems" please let me know. I would like to know if anyone has any luck selling and installing these.

O.K. I'll be back. :grin:

e57

frizbeedog said:
If you have any experience with these "out of the box, ready to go systems" please let me know. I would like to know if anyone has any luck selling and installing these.

O.K. I'll be back. :grin:

Never got an 'out of the box' kit - usually get whole sets for what-ever I want....

Quite a bit with Radio RA its older Meastro based brother... None with Auro RA... But if operates the same - it is pretty relaible and while the programing is really easy it is a big PITA on larger installs because you need to walk around touching all of the devices.... (I usually hook them up with some dommy loads off site and do the initial programing with everything right in front of me - carefull not to short anything while doing so....)

Other than that - it can be hard to sell some people on it due to the cost - but the intent is to make it comparable to ripping open walls to do the same... In that way it can be an easier sell for those who want some locallized control without tearing appart an existing area. The remote for your car will also work just as well while sitting on the couch... Or next to your bed.

Got a buddy of mine that his wife wants more light control here and there - and a few more lights in thier K&T Frank Loyd Wright styled home - and wiring it through all of the exposed timber framing would just be a night-mare. So something like this is just the ticket for controls. Now I just got to get him to bite on it - as it is gonna cost him 2x's as much to re-finish the plaster and lathe to go around all the wood.... Sometimes when I talk to him about these things he just sees my cost - but not the cost of painting and patching or the toll it will have on his marriage with several weeks of dust in an open loft styled home.... Or the vise his wife will have him in while she taps her foot waiting for him to get all of the holes closed....

StreamlineGT

Put em in all the time, and they are great, much easier to sell than a full blown RadioRa set up, and NO PROGRAMMING!!!! I like the Maestro RF single dimmers too, and those are REALLY easy to sell.

frizbeedog

With this you can have up to ten locations. Buy another kit and bridge the system following the steps for a second receiver. No programming was required. I just plugged in the receiver and the tabletop control, which I put by the bed. It has an all off or all on buttons, plus selections for each light. The remote for the car I tested at a distance of fifty yards. Bang! The lights came on. I like it.

Uh...I did plug the receiver into the small appliance branch circuit in the kitchen and placed it on top of the fridge.

I hope that's not a lighting outlet now. :rolleyes: :grin:

StreamlineGT

50 Yards!! that's it!! Keep going, it'll still work, at least mine did, but my receiver was near the front window.

Last edited:

frizbeedog

StreamlineGT said:
50 Yards!! that's it!! Keep going, it,ll still work, at least mine did, but my receiver was near the front window.

Got nervous. Didn't want to get too far from the nachos and beer. :grin:

frizbeedog

Questions

Questions

Ever since I installed this my clock raido has been buzzing when it's on an AM station, and only AM stations.

On any outlet in the house, and on circuits other than the ones that I installed the wireless dimmers, or one that have the receiver or bedside transmitter plugged in.

What's up with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.