wireless transmission of power

Status
Not open for further replies.

gar

Occupation
EE
080823-0749 EST

That article said very little. No real technical discussion.

To provide 60 W what is the magnetic flux density at the destination? How is the source magnetic field shaped (concentrated)? What function does the resonant circuit provide? What is the efficiency of power transfer? And numerous other questions.

Long ago I used a fluorescent lamp held in free space to illustrate the field intensity of a 2 meter beam antenna. I have never tried the experiment but have read that a fluorescent lamp below high voltage lines will light from the electric field intensity.

TOOL_5150

I will start to get worried when they can power a full size hot tub without any wires, for the same price I can install a branch circuit and run it to the tub.

~Matt

domnic

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
No Wires

No Wires

THE power co does it every day it is called stray voltage .

zog said:
Big deal, Tesla was doing this back in the 1920's.
You know, that was my first reaction too. But as someone explained, "No, this is different!"...:roll:

As far as POCO's doing it now, this is intentional. If POCO's could stop the stray voltage easily, I'm sure they would!.

I think the biggest hurdle this technology will have to overcome is, how do you charge for it?:grin:

zog

DanZ said:
You know, that was my first reaction too. But as someone explained, "No, this is different!"...:roll:

As far as POCO's doing it now, this is intentional. If POCO's could stop the stray voltage easily, I'm sure they would!.

I think the biggest hurdle this technology will have to overcome is, how do you charge for it?:grin:

It is differnt than stray voltage but the same thing as what Tesla was doing, in fact, they are doing the testing at the same location and using Teslas notes for the project and it is called "Project Tesla" http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Shadowlands/9654/tesla/projecttesla.html

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Shadowlands/9654/tesla/projecttesla.html

Last edited:
zog said:
It is differnt than stray voltage but the same thing as what Tesla was doing, in fact, they are doing the testing at the same location and using Teslas notes for the project and it is called "Project Tesla" http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Shadowlands/9654/tesla/projecttesla.html

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Shadowlands/9654/tesla/projecttesla.html
I didn't know they were using his notes, but it (still) sounds suspiciously like what Tesla was doing almost 100 years ago. I laughed when my friend tried to tell me it was different, I don't think he really grasped what they were doing.

zog

DanZ said:
I didn't know they were using his notes.

I sure that they are not follwing them to a tee but I did read a few years ago on this project that they used them as a reference for some things.

zog said:
I sure that they are not follwing them to a tee but I did read a few years ago on this project that they used them as a reference for some things.
I saw something on TV a while back that a researcher somewhere was using his notes to recreate his huge coil design, on a miniature scale, just to try and prove the idea worked. It turned out he really needed the huge size to make it work, or so he thinks (hopes).

Just for laughs and grins, who invented the radio?:grin: :wink:

zog said:
Mr. Tesla, among many other things other people got credit for.
Well, Marconi built it, using 17 of Tesla's patents to make it work. Apparently it looks like Tesla was busy trying to make some other crazy technology work while working on the radio at the same time. Tesla does (did?) hold the patent on it now. Marconi's was overturned and given to Tesla in 46, I believe.:grin: I love the History channel!:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.