Wireway extension collar

KBot9

Occupation
Contractor
I'm trying to figure if it is in any manner against NEC to add a wireway collar (open in back) and screwed to the front of an existing wireway, removing its cover (the existing WW is near 20% fill), to increase the total area and add more conductors within the collar area, but of course less than 30 conductors total combined old and new ?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Wireways are designed to be cut and punched. I don't see why you couldn't make your own collar.

KBot9

Occupation
Contractor
Yes exactly like an extension box where we either have it made or cut out the back of a wireway and screw it to the front of an existing one.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If the original wireway is not custom made, the manufacturer may have one with matching holes.

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
I'm trying to figure if it is in any manner against NEC to add a wireway collar (open in back) and screwed to the front of an existing wireway, removing its cover (the existing WW is near 20% fill), to increase the total area and add more conductors within the collar area, but of course less than 30 conductors total combined old and new ?
I've done it above some big dimmer cabinets in auditoriums. when you cut out the back of them they become a little flimsy, but they will work.