wiring 3P breaker for 2P circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

dodom55

What does code say about using a 3 Pole breaker to feed a 2 Pole load?

[ April 20, 2005, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: dodom55 ]

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: wiring 3P breaker for 2P circuit

Agreed. But the Design Engineer in me wants to know why you could not replace the 3-pole breaker with a 2-pole (for the project) and a 1-pole (for a spare).

paul

Originally posted by charlie b:
Agreed. But the Design Engineer in me wants to know why you could not replace the 3-pole breaker with a 2-pole (for the project) and a 1-pole (for a spare).
It's for the optional control circuit. :D

davedottcom

so, a 3-pole breaker could be used: </font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">For 3 individual single pole circuits (3-pole Handel-tie optional!)</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">As a combination single pole and two-pole (3-pole breaker-tie OR Breaker-tie across the 2-pole circuit only)</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">As a 3-phase breaker (3 pole breaker-tie required)</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
Hmmm, I guess as long as the breaker-tie is listed for use with that breaker, it's ok. I know I've seen ones rigged with #10 solid! Once I found (3) 2-pole breakers with all the ties removed & (2) 3" long 6/32's were both linking 3-poles together. They used (3) 2-pole breakers to make (2) 3-pole breakers!...worked great, but don't think it was up to code. Although the 6/32's did fit through the little holes in the switches quite nicely and they even used nuts on the ends!
If I was an inspector, I would have been tempted to let it pass!
:)
Dave

jimwalker

There are lots of things that we dont like but are to code.What we should do is correct, what we can control and ignore the rest.What i have found is that we can go home all shook up as to what we see or who we work with or we can just try to do the right thing and let it pass.I just had one one of them days that my helper was a 20 plus year man that with an up north masters wasnt as good as a 1 year helper. I managed not to hit him with my klines,requested i not get him as a helper again.Often we see things we wish we could change

[ April 20, 2005, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: jimwalker ]

kiloamp7

NEC does not specifically prohibit, but it is "cheesy" & not in a workmanlike manner.

kentirwin

As I recently learned you sometimes have no choice. I recently researched and got pricing for a project involving a single phase transformer to be fed from a Square D ILine panel. A two pole breaker for that panel has been discontinued. I had to buy and install a 3 pole CB. I fed the transformer from the A & C poles and removed the B phase lug. The inspector didn't blink or question the installation.

kiloamp7

kent, yes, cheesy it is but there are a heckuva lot worse things you could do.

If the only problem I had with our plant electrical systems was a 3-pole bkr. serving a 1-phase load. I would not have any problems at all.

Being an old Square D employee, I am curious about a certain I-Line bkr. being discontinued.
I was involved with I-Lines way back when they were first introduced. They were (& still are)
the best thing since sliced bread.

Status
Not open for further replies.