Wiring for overhead door electric eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredold41

We recently conctructed some storage buildings which have four electrically operated overhead doors each. These doors are equiped with a door edge safety strip to stop the door if it contacts any object while closing. In addition, there are electric eye sensors that stop the door if something breaks the beam at the base of the door. The owner insists that the low voltage wiring for the electric eye sensors is required to be installed in conduit per the NEC. Is this true? I have never heard of such a requirement.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Re: Wiring for overhead door electric eye

No, I don't think that's true. :)

Edit to clarify my unresearched opinion. :)

[ May 13, 2005, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: georgestolz ]

benaround

What does he say about the wiring for the saftey edge,usually it is a tiny cord reel,that's not pipe.
In commercial jobs it's fair to say that most "eye sensors" are installed in conduit,mostly for protection.Also the eye usually reverses the door on "close" only.

frank

jimwalker

Nothing require conduit for this.Your not even required to run the wire.I just finished a house and suggested they have us prewire for the detector and they turned it down.Now if the garage door opener is installed on the final i believe they will fail because of building codes.Also dought any door company would install an opener without it.What mr homeowner installs after the final is not my problem.

allenwayne

Jim we pre wire GDO LV every day coil it up at each side of the door and leave it hanging at the gdo recep and have a stubout for button.
unless speced in conduit tell them to pound sand or write a PO

jimwalker

I wanted to do that for them but was told not too.Seemed kinda foolish for something that takes 15 minutes and $3 worth of wire.

aelectricalman

I'm having a hard time believing that this question is being asked by someone in the trade. Sounds like a DIY'er to me. I guess I've asked my fair share of silly questions though.

paul

Since it sounds like you're talking about a commercial application, it's a good idea to at least sleave the LV wiring with EMT going up for protection. Although not required, it's good practice. It's also a more professional looking job.

[ May 15, 2005, 04:08 PM: Message edited by: paul ]

Status
Not open for further replies.