Wiring Hot Tub

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Crawford

I have a hot tub to wire and it was supplied with two 125v 15a plugs. The first is connected to a 2hp 125v motor and the second is connected to a 5.6a 120v heater. The owners manual says to connect both to a single 120v 30a supply. Table 430.248 lists a 2hp 120V motor as 24A. How can I connect these devices to a single 30A supply?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't see how this would be possible. T 210.21(B)(3) says you must use a 30 amp receptacle on a 30 amp branch circuit.

Is this an outdoor hot tub or a hydromassage tub? I have seen them as hydromassage tubs and have run 2 circuits to them.

Buck Parrish

Randy Crawford said:
I have a hot tub to wire and it was supplied with two 125v 15a plugs. The first is connected to a 2hp 125v motor and the second is connected to a 5.6a 120v heater. The owners manual says to connect both to a single 120v 30a supply. Table 430.248 lists a 2hp 120V motor as 24A. How can I connect these devices to a single 30A supply?

The owners manual goes by methods the tub was UL approoved by, and tested. 24 amps is a big motor. It must be a different type of motor that would make it less.
Sometimes the owners manual will go by testes methods useing 115 volts.
Or 125 v.

hillbilly

How about a 12/3cu, 20A multi-wire circuit feeding a duplex 20A, 120V receptacle?
Two pole 20A breaker and remove the link between the receptacles.

Since the unit came factory equipped with (2) 15A 120V plugs, you could probably get away with a (multi-wire) 15A circuit, but I would use #12 wire anyway....just my preference:smile: .

Just my opinion
steve

Sometimes a piece of equipment may come with instructions that have been altered after the UL testing/review procedures.

I would contact UL with the info and see what they have to say. That takes us out of the loop and puts you in the drivers seat with the proper info.
You should email them, as an email response will be in writing.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
You might also want to take a close look at that "2 HP" motor.
A lot of these HP ratings are "SPL" and a sales gimick. Check your name plate for actual amps vs. 430.248. You may find it's not a true 2HP.
This doesn't solve the single 30 amp circuit as far a proper protection, but it may shed some light on your true load which might turn out to be less than 30 amps.

electricalperson

augie47 said:
You might also want to take a close look at that "2 HP" motor.
A lot of these HP ratings are "SPL" and a sales gimick. Check your name plate for actual amps vs. 430.248. You may find it's not a true 2HP.
This doesn't solve the single 30 amp circuit as far a proper protection, but it may shed some light on your true load which might turn out to be less than 30 amps.
thats what they do with compressors. for example they say peak 7 hp on the side and the motor isnt marked with the HP just amps

Status
Not open for further replies.