wiring method for Anesthetic location in hospital

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan Hasan

what type of wiring method I use in the Anesthetic area in hospital? please notice, the main raceway that will provide cables to anesthetic area is ventilated trough type. also, please advise what cable type shall be used in this area?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Article 517 applies, I believe. I suggest you read that section but I will post one section

517.13 Grounding of Receptacles and Fixed Electrical Equipment in Patient Care Areas. Wiring in patient care areas shall comply with 517.13(A) and (B).
(A) Wiring Methods. All branch circuits serving patient care areas shall be provided with an effective ground-fault current path by installation in a metal raceway system, or a cable having a metallic armor or sheath assembly. The metal raceway system, or metallic cable armor, or sheath
assembly shall itself qualify as an equipment grounding conductor in accordance with 250.118.
(B) Insulated Equipment Grounding Conductor.
(1) General. The following shall be directly connected to an insulated copper equipment grounding conductor that is installed with the branch circuit conductors in the wiring methods as provided in 517.13(A).
(1) The grounding terminals of all receptacles.
(2) Metal boxes and enclosures containing receptacles.
(3) All non?current-carrying conductive surfaces of fixed electrical equipment likely to become energized that are subject to personal contact, operating at over 100 volts.
Exception: An insulated equipment bonding jumper that directly connects to the equipment grounding conductor is permitted to connect the box and receptacle(s) to the equipment grounding conductor.
Exception No. 1 to (3): Metal faceplates shall be permitted to be connected to the equipment grounding conductor by means of a metal mounting screw(s) securing the faceplate to a grounded outlet box or grounded wiring device.
Exception No. 2 to (3): Luminaires more than 2.3 m (71⁄2 ft) above the floor and switches located outside of the patient care vicinity shall be permitted to be connected to an equipment grounding return path complying with 517.13(A).
(2) Sizing. Equipment grounding conductors and equipment bonding jumpers shall be sized in accordance with 250.122.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Note, however, that a Inhalation Anesthetic area is covered by 517.60 +. You would need to determine if your wining is in, or above the Class1 Div 1 area (5 ft). In either event, I think, the only "cables" that are allowed are MI & MC (within the area the MC must have w vapor-tight sheath)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Note, however, that a Inhalation Anesthetic area is covered by 517.60 +. You would need to determine if your wining is in, or above the Class1 Div 1 area (5 ft). In either event, I think, the only "cables" that are allowed are MI & MC (within the area the MC must have w vapor-tight sheath)

Thanks Gus.. I did a search and came up empty but I think I spelled it wrong....

Status
Not open for further replies.