Wiring Method

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Would there be an wiring this with an MC cable that has 2 hots and 2 neutrals if they make it? Not sure they do but will check with my supplier.

1724789442506.png

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
According to the diagram, a single neutral will suffice. No reason to run two.

(Rather, despite the diagram . . .)

Just use three-conductor cable and don't split the receptacle's neutral terminals.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Is that one neutral? I guess your right there is one coming in. Also I guess just one hot too? hmmmmm!!
One of the ungrounded conductors to the receptacle is switched to provide the control for half of the receptacle.

Also the controlled marking must indicate which of the two receptacles on the duplex is the controlled one. The image does not seem to do that.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Is that one neutral? I guess your right there is one coming in. Also I guess just one hot too? hmmmmm!!
The drawing clearly shows two hots and two neutrals feeding the receptacle which is the basis for your question. Only one neutral is required to feed the receptacle. Unless the tab is removed on the neutral side of the receptacle the two neutrals violate the parallel conductor rules.

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
Not question related.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240827-161539~2.png
    Screenshot_20240827-161539~2.png
    170.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20240827-161650~2.png
    Screenshot_20240827-161650~2.png
    297.5 KB · Views: 10

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
The drawing clearly shows two hots and two neutrals feeding the receptacle which is the basis for your question. Only one neutral is required to feed the receptacle. Unless the tab is removed on the neutral side of the receptacle the two neutrals violate the parallel conductor rules.
So I'm clear your saying it does show two neutrals but only one is required, correct? So they are depicting the wiring incorrectly? From a techinical stand point why is only one neutral required? I know generally speaking it's one circuit thus one neutral, correct?

So are two hots or in other words a switched hot and constant hot required?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So I'm clear your saying it does show two neutrals but only one is required, correct? So they are depicting the wiring incorrectly? From a techinical stand point why is only one neutral required? I know generally speaking it's one circuit thus one neutral, correct?

Yes the receptacle only requires a single neutral, the same neutral feeding the junction box from the branch circuit.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician

No the drawing shows only one 2 wire branch circuit. Has one branch neutral and one hot but the device is switching the one hot to half the duplex, and half the duplex is fed direct from the branch circuit.
No MWBC.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
We're saying that, since both neutral (white) wires to the receptacle come from the same point, there is no reason for there to be two. One could run to both receptacle halves.

These diagrams and drawings all show the equivalent circuit to your drawing. They are all the the same electrically speaking. Which one is easiest for you to understand?

1724823001288.jpeg
1724823028555.jpeg
1724823040716.jpeg
1724823053528.jpeg

They are only required because the designer of the circuit chose for there to be both a switched half of a receptacle and an un-switched half of a receptacle.

You could just as easily have had a switched complete receptacle and an un-switched complete receptacle. Can you see how one neutral can supply both?

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
One reason not to run two in this case. If you forget to brake the tap on the white ( grounded conductor) side you have a code violation. You would have 2-#12 in parallel.
Results of second white wire:
Would it work, Yes
Waste of time and money, Yes
Code violation if tab between the two screws not removed, Yes
Is it needed to operate correctly, No

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240828-071717~2.png
    Screenshot_20240828-071717~2.png
    175.4 KB · Views: 1