Wiring Methods Article 300.15(F)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently had job to install Recessing lighting. The area where the lights were installed was to have a hard ceiling. The management didn't want the rafters drilled. I ran conduit from the home run j-boxes and changed to 1/2 Greenfield flex to transition to the cans with an approved fitting. I came across an article in EC& M magazine quoting article 300.15 (F) saying this a code violation because the fittings are not accessible. I don't understand the reason behind this since there are no splices.

Paul Q
Orlando,Fl

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
I have yet to see that. Here is the unenforceable commentary following 300.15(F) from the 08 NECHB.

Where a cable system makes a transition to a raceway to provide mechanical protection against physical damage, 300.15(F) permits the use of a fitting instead of a box. For example, where nonmetallic-sheathed cable that runs overhead on floor joists and drops down on a masonry wall to supply a receptacle needs to be protected from physical damage, a short length of raceway is installed to the outlet device box. The cable is then inserted in the raceway and secured by a combination fitting that is fastened to the end of the raceway.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I believe it is the new issue- April 2010- code basics by Mike Holt page 30 thru 33 . Page 32 has the picture (fig.4)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
No, The picture showing on page 32 in EC&M Magazine by Mike Holt shows conduit to flex.

The op says he went from conduit to greenfield flex. That is exactly what the picture shows. I believe it is because pull wires in at a later date would be difficult without access to the fitting.??????

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Here is the picture since the new issue is not online yet.

ry%3D400

wiring methods

wiring methods

I was able to push in all 3 conductors, longest run 30 feet. I don't agree with code and see no reason for needing access to the fitting.

cripple

Wiring Methods Article 300.15(F)

Section 300.15 requires a box or conduit body to be installed on any wiring method where conductors are spliced, outlet point, switch point, junction point, termination point, or pull point.
Section 300.15(F) (NEC 2008) modifies the main rule by permitting a fitting where conductors are not spliced or terminated in lieu of box or conduit body, if the fitting is identified, and this fitting shall be accessible.
This is the old rule at required a box or conduit body when a transition from raceway system to a cable system. 300.15 does not address this type transition, since the transition would require the conductors in conduits system to be sliced to the conductors a cable wiring method. Transition fitting or assembly are referenced thought-out the Code.

russ

Here is the picture since the new issue is not online yet.

ry%3D400

Fitting.
An accessory such as a locknut, bushing, or other part of a wiring system that is intended primarily to perform a mechanical rather than an electrical function.

If all "Fittings" required to be accessible were in trouble.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
IMO the answer lies in the definition of junction point. Does that mean the junction of the two different wring methods? If so box is required. However in lieu of a box an accessible fitting is permitted.

300.15 Boxes, Conduit Bodies, or Fittings ? Where Required.
A box shall be installed at each outlet and switch point for concealed knob-and-tube wiring.
Fittings and connectors shall be used only with the specific wiring methods for which they are designed and listed.
Where the wiring method is conduit, tubing, Type AC cable, Type MC cable, Type MI cable, nonmetallic-sheathed cable, or other cables, a box or conduit body shall be installed at each conductor splice point, outlet point, switch point, junction point, termination point, or pull point, unless otherwise permitted in 300.15(A) through (M).

(F) Fitting. A fitting identified for the use shall be permitted in lieu of a box or conduit body where conductors are not spliced or terminated within the fitting. The fitting shall be accessible after installation.

wiring methods

wiring methods

I see no reason why that fitting needs to be accessible. There was no problem pushing the conductors in the conduit all the way to the light.

Paul
Licensed Master Electrician

russ

IMO the answer lies in the definition of junction point. Does that mean the junction of the two different wring methods? If so box is required. However in lieu of a box an accessible fitting is permitted.

What if it were rigid to EMT or Metal conduit to plastic?
I think they had more in mind like a "fitting" as referred to in 314.17, or 314.40 but never explained in that section of code, except for in the scope section. There it is calling connector and couplings "fittings", but in the actual sections mentioned the seem to allude to something like a conduit body or box with a removable cover. Atleast that is the way I see it for conduit runs.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I see no reason why that fitting needs to be accessible. There was no problem pushing the conductors in the conduit all the way to the light.

Paul
Licensed Master Electrician

Paul, you can do what you want. I don't have an issue with it but you asked and I believe I showed you the rule. Not everyone wants to agree with it-- so be it- I don't really see a safety issue with it. I believe it is in the code so that wiring can be accessed at a later date without tearing down walls. Not all connection will necessarily allow the wiring to go easily.

Whether we agree with it or not, I think it is clear. The concept is a junction point as Trevor stated. I think that where raceway change you have a junction point. Someone can say a coupling is a junction point but I don't think that is the intent.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Paul, you can do what you want. I don't have an issue with it but you asked and I believe I showed you the rule. Not everyone wants to agree with it-- so be it- I don't really see a safety issue with it. I believe it is in the code so that wiring can be accessed at a later date without tearing down walls. Not all connection will necessarily allow the wiring to go easily.

Whether we agree with it or not, I think it is clear. The concept is a junction point as Trevor stated. I think that where raceway change you have a junction point. Someone can say a coupling is a junction point but I don't think that is the intent.

It sounds like a junction point to me but I don't' know if that is or isn't the intended code definition. Personally I see no problem with it and have actually done it before. :)

wiring methods

wiring methods

Thanks for all the replys, something to bring up before next code book comes out to clarify this rule.

Paul

kwired

Electron manager
How can we use a rigid steel elbow in an underground PVC raceway? You have to transtion on each end of the steel elbow, both ends would need to be accessable yet it is supposed to have minimum of 18 inches of cover if it is not connected to a grounding conductor.

Status
Not open for further replies.