Wiring methods for door mounted motor disconnects

Status
Not open for further replies.

EC Dan

Occupation
E&C Manager
I have a panel with eight three-phase 480 V motors circuits, each one using a door mounted UL508 disconnect switch as a means of LOTO (Mersen M163DM x 7, M663DM x 1). What are some good practices and/or products for getting that much power circuit wire to the door and back? This is technically a washdown area so mounting wire ducts to the door with bolts may be difficult and adhesive hasn't worked well on the interior metal surfaces of these panels.

EC Dan

Occupation
E&C Manager
That could work, we have a welder here who could do that. These are painted steel cabinets, does welding on the inside surface tend to discolor the outside surface?

DrSparks

The Everlasting Know-it-all!
Occupation
Master Electrician and General Contractor
That could work, we have a welder here who could do that. These are painted steel cabinets, does welding on the inside surface tend to discolor the outside surface?
It will make a dark circle around where you welded the stud.

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I’ve never been a fan of running even one set of power leads across the hinge like that, let alone 8 sets. That’s a high risk failure point. I prefer using panel mounted switches and if you need all of them to have external handles, remove the individual door interlocks and install a single main disconnect with a door interlock.

Just my opinion though.

Status
Not open for further replies.