Wiring office cubicles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davebones

We have Herman Miller free standing office cubicles .They are fed now from cords ( #12 wire x 6' ) pulled under the partitions from one cubicle to the next .Some have up to 6 cubicles plugged in together in a daisey chain . I told my boss the only way we can do this to code would be to run MC or conduit between the cubicles with a outlet in each one .This furniture doesn't have the built in wiring so I see this as the only way to properly deal with this . Any opinions would be appreciated !!!!!!

Bigrig

Do you know which of their systems you have? Many systems have a built-in raceway at the base of the partition, perfect for running MC. How high and what type are your ceilings? I have designed systems with power poles for every group of four to six cublicles. Each cubicle would be wired back seperately to the pole. In our office we are not even allowed to use extension cords much less daisy-chaining them (something about the fire marshal getting upset).

Jim W in Tampa

Depending on the layout 1 power pole might be able to catch 4 cubicals. That is assuming 2 side by side and 2 behind them. With new LED monitors and computors i would think average cubical needs maybe 5 amps. It never hurts to be over. If they are not factory wired i see this as nothing more than small office walls. When dealing with fire marshal just give in to what ever he wants unless your ready for a war you can't win.

Status
Not open for further replies.