Wiring Receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Do you guys use feed through method( connecting right to terminals) or pigtail/splice the conductors to the terminals? Thanks

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
I like unbroken loops around EGC bonding screw for use with self-grounding devices.

If possible avoid wirenuts with unbroken loops around device terminals otherwise limited to 4 wires.

Where 300.13(B) applies, ugly wirenut keeps line-side neutrals connected without relying on device terminals.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Pigtails always. I might make an exception for an old box that is already stuffed with wires.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Those conductors are almost always pigtailed, via solid, to devices that have only screws.
I've been looking for 15 amp devices with pressure plate terminals.

2 slots per screw for existing #12 wire is really nice when no room in box for wirenuts. The pressure plates also work for stranded, if you hate to twist & wrap around screws.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
With the typical 2-cable install, I use the device terminals. If another cable is added, I'll pigtail, and put the new conductors on the device's terminals.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've been looking for 15 amp devices with pressure plate terminals.

2 slots per screw for existing #12 wire is really nice when no room in box for wirenuts. The pressure plates also work for stranded, if you hate to twist & wrap around screws.
Most premium-grade receptacles, such as Leviton Preferred, have a clamping feature.

1639153550463.png

tthh

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Pigtail with backwired clamping receptacle. Now, as others have said, if there is not a lot of room, or maybe really old and brittle insulation or some other circumstance, I'll use the device.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Why do most of you guys pigtail(besides qty wires in box)? isn't it easier and quicker to terminate at the device terminals?
Depends, with a self grounding receptacle you only need to land 2 wires on the device which makes it easier to push it into the box especially with #10 wire.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Depends, with a self grounding receptacle you only need to land 2 wires on the device which makes it easier to push it into the box especially with #10 wire.
Thanks. So what do you do with the ground wire if you have a ground wire e.g. MC cable? Also, why would you ever use #10 for standard 20A receptacles?

Status
Not open for further replies.