Wiring Used (Not New/Second-Hand) Spas

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFletcher

Has anyone done a fair amount of these installs? What pitfalls/problems have you run across?

Reason I ask, we did one today. It looked new on the outside, but upon pulling the skirting, we could tell it wasnt. Problems found: bonds from pumps/heaters loose/missing/cut from bonding bus on the ctrl panel, fragile/broken plumbing fittings. iow, it took a LOT more time to make sure it was correct vs a new spa.

Last week or so I posted about customer supplied second-hand chandeliers, and how far you go on those, now it's spas. This one was probably well past its warranty period. We hooked it up, verified all of the controls/lights/pumps/heater worked, and were done, recommending to the HO that a spa guy fix the broken fittings and give it a once-over and do the initial pool chemistry.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Has anyone done a fair amount of these installs? What pitfalls/problems have you run across?

Reason I ask, we did one today. It looked new on the outside, but upon pulling the skirting, we could tell it wasnt. Problems found: bonds from pumps/heaters loose/missing/cut from bonding bus on the ctrl panel, fragile/broken plumbing fittings. iow, it took a LOT more time to make sure it was correct vs a new spa.

Last week or so I posted about customer supplied second-hand chandeliers, and how far you go on those, now it's spas. This one was probably well past its warranty period. We hooked it up, verified all of the controls/lights/pumps/heater worked, and were done, recommending to the HO that a spa guy fix the broken fittings and give it a once-over and do the initial pool chemistry.

I've done a few of these and I only guarantee that I supplied the correct voltage and that it was ran/connected properly to the control box. I will tighten bonding lugs/conductors but no plumbing and I won't work on the control boards or box.

Usually a pool & spa company has sold these and gone through the spa before selling them. But I've had a few customers that either brought them with them when they moved or bought them used from an individual.

Status
Not open for further replies.