Within 5 feet

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I am using a water pipe as a grounding electrode, does my actual GEC need to terminate within the first 5 feet or can I just run it to the nearest pipe and then install a bonding jumper? I’ve always thought the bonding jumper at the water meter allowed me to run my GEC to the most convenient section of pipe but now I’m second guessing and thinking I’ve got a lot of code violations out there, some of which were even approved by inspectors 😂

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
With the water pipe as an electrode it has to connect within 5' of where the pipe enters the building. It can connect on either side of the water meter and a bonding jumper around the meter is required regardless of which side it connects to the water pipe.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
250.68 is sort of weirdly written in that it does not actually say that the water pipe GEC has to be connected within the first 5ft, only that the first 5ft shall be permitted to be used to bond different electrodes and such together. But in my experience that's how it's interpreted.

Buck Parrish

We never bond around the water meter. Never been required to. I've heard some water meters have rubber ends specifically not allowing continuity between customers.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
250.50 says all electrodes that are present.
Seems like you'd need to dig it up to prove its not present.

Right so connect it up is cheaper and then add the rods. That is probably why you need to supplement the water pipes. At any time it could be replaced,

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
I suppose any metal water pipe's days are numbered in 2022.
Probably a matter of time before all are pex.

retirede

Civilization will collapse first for sure. The most you’ll get is PEX after the water meter but no way society holds on long enough for the entire service entrance to be PEX on a large scale.

It may not be PEX, but it will be some type of polymer. Every new water service installed here in the past 25 years has the meter buried in the yard with a 1” HDPE line run to the house. Mine is that way (built in 1997).
84fbc557a12aa84fa2b1f57cee21db90.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.