without conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
You seem to think that the designer has to spell out every tiny detail of the installation. I think you have to stop somewhere. It's a code requirement that EMT be supported every 10ft. Does this mean the designer has to draw the location of every one hole strap on the plans? I don't think so. There are few different code compliant ways to run circuits between arrays. Can't you just leave it up to the field inspector to ensure that the installers use one? Maybe put a general comment on the plans "Conductors between arrays to be protected and supported in an approved manner."

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
You seem to think that the designer has to spell out every tiny detail of the installation. I think you have to stop somewhere. It's a code requirement that EMT be supported every 10ft. Does this mean the designer has to draw the location of every one hole strap on the plans? I don't think so. There are few different code compliant ways to run circuits between arrays. Can't you just leave it up to the field inspector to ensure that the installers use one? Maybe put a general comment on the plans "Conductors between arrays to be protected and supported in an approved manner."
I am not assuming I actually asked what they are going to do since they didnt spell it out. Yes plan is a legal document so at least number of EGC, size etc needs to be spelled out. Also what does in approved manner mean. Lots of engineer do not know code that well, or have common sense end up doing things wrong and all this has to be cleared up before approval.

Ofcourse by your account why have engineering drawings as well if one were to put general notes.

Last edited:

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
That has nothing to do with the question you asked. See 250.122(C).
I see that in one raceway with muliple circuits you can have one EGC in raceway.

My another question was at the junction box circuits separate one goes to steing 1, second string 2, third string 3. Separated circuit Article 690.43(F) says to have for each circuit EGC not one whole EGC no?

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

jaggedben

Occupation
I see that in one raceway with muliple circuits you can have one EGC in raceway.

My another question was at the junction box circuits separate one goes to steing 1, second string 2, third string 3. Separated circuit Article 690.43(F) says to have for each circuit EGC not one whole EGC no?

No. It just doesn't say that. If they choose to put two strings in one conduit for some stretch they only need one EGC.

jaggedben

Occupation
Yea but their is no conduit provided.

They will be doing something, and the method will tell you something about EGCs. I don't know why you need to have it specified before install and field inspection (I still don't understand your role in this) but if that's what your role requires then ask them to specify the method.

You asked the forum 'is conduit required' and we told you 'there's more than one code compliant way to do it'. Same goes for EGCs. "It depends."

Status
Not open for further replies.