Wood Truss Plant

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlinb

Does anyone have any experience with the electrical equipment within a wood truss manufacturing facility? And if any of the electrical equipment must be rated for a hazardous location?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Re: Wood Truss Plant

I think we already discussed this in this thread.

How did you finally classifiy it? If you did classify the area, the equipment and wiring methods must comply with the classification.

carlinb

We were able to get the AHJ to go with Class II Division 2. We were classified as Class II Division 1. Now our problem is some of the equipment that is standard throughout our industry does not carry a rating for Class II Division 2 locations such as an air-compressor, and our saws. We were able to discuss the possibility of being unclassified with the electrical inspector, but it is the fire inspector that insists we must be classified at least Class II Division 2. It has cost us an additional $100,000.00 so far easy.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation

Yes, this is the common problem with over-classifying.

I would suggest asking the Fire Inspector what nationally recognized safety standard is the basis for the classification since NFPA 499 would not classify the material as combustible dust at all.

Note the various Class II, "Group" references in 500.6(B) are extracted from NFPA 499 and 499 then further defines Combustible Dusts.

[ June 20, 2005, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: rbalex ]

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by carlinb:
It has cost us an additional $100,000.00 so far easy.
With that much money involved would it not be cheaper to hire a consultant that specializes in these issues to deal with the Fire Inspector?

carlinb

We have now hired a professional fire protection engineer. However, an engineers who specialize in the fire protection field are not everywhere. Hopefully he will be able to help. The main problem here is that in central Florida's current construction and permitting market plus previous experiences all engineers take the plans examiner's suggestions and guidance as gospel. So when the fire plans examiner suggested classifying the area that is what everyone did correct or not.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation

I've worked with some of the best Fire Protection engineers in the business and most would admit quite frankly they are not qualified to do electrical area classification. They know how to put a fire out, minimize its spread, eliminate or reduce toxic products of combustion and many other things I'm not qualified to do, but they all tended to over-classify, "just to be safe."

Then the price tag came rolling in.

carlinb

I was hopeing that the fire protection engineer could state that the saw dust we create is not as hazardous as the county feels that it is. The electrical plans examiner feels that we should be unclassified, but the fire plans examiner is the one who feels that we should be classified based off of the NFPA codes.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation

From NFPA 499, Recommended Practice for the Classification of Combustible Dusts and of Hazardous (Classified) Locations for Electrical Installations in Chemical Process :
Combustible Dust.* Any finely divided solid material 420 microns or less in diameter (i.e., material passing through a U.S. No. 40 Standard Sieve) that presents a fire or explosion hazard when dispersed. Combustible dusts are subdivided as follows:
?
Group G. Atmospheres containing other combustible dusts, including flour, grain, wood flour, plastic, and chemicals.
Unless the process creates a significant amount of wood flour (finely divided,...420 microns or less in diameter), there is no basis for a classified location. It really is that simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.